Excursion planning!

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
JessD22

Excursion planning!

Post by JessD22 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN511B Maintain a Safe & Healthy Environment for Children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
RATIO HELP

1: 3 how many adults are needed?
Excursion planning chaos - help needed asap.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
My assignment is chaos to put in light terms, I don't blame my teacher for finding it confusing. I don't even know where to begin I question myself on what the hell I was doing. My brain is not in the right state of mind to be all in truth but that's no excuse.

Okay so for this assignment I need to have a notification note for parents about the excursion which I always felt comfortable on, I was really proud of the layout of it as I did it in the first week I got my assignment, and then a permission note was next, which I also felt good about, it just needs a bit of a fixer upper when I read over her comments about adding the drivers licence, insurance and ratios which is where it begins to go wrong; my ratios however was confused as on a website it had stated that the ratio was 1:11 for 3-5 year olds which is my group of children, and I had written 1:4 which people have been saying in class, and I clearly had not thought deeply about that, and I was originally going to put in 1:11, point is, it was muddled and it is mean't to be 1:3, if someone could just state how many adults that is for a group of 10 I'd be forever rateful.

So basically I need massive help on this particular question, as the rest I sort of know what to do now that I've talked to her, and looked over the assignment again

"• A supervision plan. What factors will you need to consider when planning your supervision requirements? Child: Carer ratios, etc. Who will make up the carer numbers? How will you manage food, storage and transport details? How do you plan to enlist help? What additional supervision requirements may be required for a child with mobility impairment or challenging behaviour?"

Description and Message:
Okay so basically I have to re-submit a subject, I'm strugglign lately and my brain is not thinking at the most crucial point of where I need it to think. I'm in a different universe. I need really straigh forward help/strategies for me to grasp this assignment. I really can't think right now and just the amount of adults I need for this excursion would help me a great deal so I can write up the parents names and numbers which si also part of the assignment.

please help :sweating: :oops:

Lorina

Re: Excursion planning!

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 am

In the National Regulations and Law is says that you need to do a risk assessment of the place you're going to for the excursion. In this document it also gives you a template which you can use when undertaking the risk assessment (page 165)

Guide to National Regulations and Law

Excursions
Undertaking a risk assessment is part of planning a routine outing or excursion. The risk assessment will need to take into account the levels of supervision and number of adults needed for the entire time the children are out of the service premises, residence or venue. Volunteers, such as parent helpers, may assist to provide additional supervision. Services might consider how attendance numbers will be verified at certain times during the excursion, such as when leaving the venue or travelling on public transport. Strategies that might be used include head counts, or allocating a group of children to a particular adult or educator ( page 63)

As for the ratios:

The minimum adult to child ratio for preschool excursions is one adult to five children. If the excursion involves using public transport or crossing a major road the ratio is one adult to four children.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Ness-C

Re: Excursion planning!

Post by Ness-C » Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Lorina wrote:
As for the ratios:

The minimum adult to child ratio for preschool excursions is one adult to five children. If the excursion involves using public transport or crossing a major road the ratio is one adult to four children.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Hi, this is great info, can you tell me where you got this/know this from? Is there a site which specifies this?