Diploma In Children Services

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
talyalala
Participator
Participator

Diploma In Children Services

Post by talyalala » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCRF511A Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate care for children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Practitioners and families will not always agree about the care of the child. This can result in tensions between the staff and the family.
Read each scenario and write a response to the related questions.
Independence
Mrs Wang was very distressed when she learned that the practitioner was not feeding her child, instead leaving him to feed himself finger food.
‘You are not caring for my child. You must feed him. He is only two and does not know that he must eat regularly. If you don’t feed him I will not know how much he has eaten. This is very important to me. I always feed my children properly. I am a good mother.’
‘Yim (18 months) can feed himself very successfully. I do supervise him but it’s important that he learns to feed himself. Remember he is one of ten children. I just don’t have the time to feed him!’
Later the practitioner shared the incident with her colleagues. ‘I don’t know why she made such a big issue over Yim feeding himself. You’d think she’d be pleased to see him becoming independent!’
1. What should the practitioner take into account when reflecting on Mrs Wang’s concerns?

2. Write a more appropriate response

Unhappy
Mrs Brown, the parent of an 11 month old withdrew her child from the centre without any explanation after four months in care. Another parent tells the Director that she and the family have a mutual friend who said the family was unhappy that there seemed to be a different Educator in the room every day.
The child’s primary Educator had been on extended sick leave and there had been several casuals covering her absence. This was compounded by several changes in the roster which led to different staff working the early and late shift.
The Director had not informed parents of the reason for the many changes in staff.
1. What information should have been provided to parents?

2. What alternative strategy could have been put in place to cope with this team member’s absence (give a reason for your suggestion)?

3. How should the Director follow-up with Mrs Brown?

Expectations
Nazneen’s husband is in his final year of medicine and works long hours. Nazneen is a qualified Occupational Therapist and works three days per week. The extended family lives in Pakistan. Nazneen has very high expectations of Rina (2.10 years) and is keen for her to excel academically. She has told you that she works with Rina each evening, teaching her the alphabet, counting, colours and shapes. She is concerned that Rina doesn’t pay attention to these lessons and always wants to play with her dolls. Nazneen asks if she should have Rina assessed because she thinks she might be ‘slow’.
At the centre Rina (an only child) is bright and bubbly. She engages in a wide range of experiences and relates well to both adults and peers. You have no concerns in relation to her development.
1. What might account for the very different perceptions of Rina’s development?

2. How would you respond to Nazneen’s concerns?

Anxious
Milo (4.4 years), an only child, is a chronic asthmatic and has been in and out of hospital many times. Milo’s mother, Jane, is very protective of her son. Milo has never been away from his mother’s care – when he is hospitalised she always stays with him. Jane has tried to avoid Milo having contact with other children – she fears he will catch an infection that may trigger his asthma. Ted, her husband, feels that Jane is ‘babying Milo and fussing too much’. He has been persuading Jane that it would be good for Mio to mix with other children, ‘toughen up a bit and learn to stand on his own two feet’.
Milo has been at the centre two days per week for the last five weeks. He has settled well and his asthma is being monitored and well managed by the staff.
Jane remains extremely anxious. Every morning she checks with the staff that they know what to do in the event of an asthma attack. Jane also gives the same instruction each day: “no running around, stay off the climbing equipment in case you fall, keep your shoes and socks on, don’t play in the water in case you get wet”.
Jane usually telephones the centre twice a day to make sure he is safe and well.
Jo, the Director, is aware that the staff find Jane very difficult and always finish with the comment ‘Poor Milo’.
1. Describe the situation from both Jane’s and the staff’s perspective.

2. What could Jo do to try to alleviate some of Jane’s anxiety?

3. What might Jo do to encourage staff to be more empathic towards Jane?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Help please xx

Description and Message:

talyalala
Participator
Participator

Re: Diploma In Children Services

Post by talyalala » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am

help needed please!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 am

Please add a response or an attempt in order to receive further support.

:geek:,
L.A

monicha68

Post by monicha68 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:33 pm

can you give me these q ans pls

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Lorina wrote:Please add a response or an attempt in order to receive further support.

:geek:,
L.A