CSCN11B - Scenario: Julie, Jake, Gaby & Rose

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
onturk

CSCN11B - Scenario: Julie, Jake, Gaby & Rose

Post by onturk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CSCN11B Coordinate the response to accidents and emergencies
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Julie (22 months) is having an asthma attack. At the same time as Jake (18 months)slips in the bathroom. He is screaming, with blood pouring from his mouth. Whilst Gaby has just been bitten by Rose. The other 8 children in the room are screaming.

Question
Include a plan to meet the emotional needs of the children. I'VE DONE THE PLAN BUT I WASN'T TO SURE IF I'VE MISSED ANYTHING OR IF IM ON THE RIGHT TRACK
Evaluate and suggest improvments. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT FOR THIS QUESTION

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Julie
There should be one staff taking care of julie.
Carer should have Julie's Asthma action plan which would need to be up to date.
Remove Julie to a Quite area.
Notify parents immediately if this is mentioned in the action plan
Write up incident and medication form
Call ambulance if asthma isn't working
Ambulance will decide if parents should be called
Diploma goes with ambulance if parents are not there
Inform Department of Early Childhood Education
Evaluate and review what works and what doesn't

Jake
There needs to be a staff member taking care of Jake
Calm Jake down
Go through the blood spill policy
Make sure you put on gloves
Sit him on change bench
Settle him down
Get facewash and clean it and this will soothe it
Take all contiminated clothes off and have gloves on
Write up an incident report
Inform parents
Clean room
Evaluate why he had the accident
Review supervision, first aid, policy and practices

Gaby and Rose
Have a staff member to take care of Gaby and Rose
Move Gaby and Rose a way
Find out why Rose has been biting
Tell parents

Have a staff with the rest of the children
Move them a way
read stories
Set up a doctors corner

Let other staff know if you need assistance

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 pm

What a nightmare is this really happened all at once!

I think what you have written is fine, I'd probably do the same thing as you have written for each of the scenarios.

Julie:

Instead of moving her to a quiet area, I'd probably get her puffer/ventilator straight away and start administering it, along with the help of another staff member to witness what I'm doing. In the meantime talk calmly to Julie, telling her to take deep breaths and taking her through what you are doing etc. With the action plan, everyone should already be aware of the procedure during Julie's asthma attack. Once she has given the puffer and has calmed down, then I'll move her to a quiet area and fill out medication form, notify parents if necessary etc.

Jake:

Clear the bathroom of any children. Stop the bleeding, in the meantime talk calmly to Jake about what you are doing and that he is alright. Ask him if he is hurt anywhere else. Once you have the bleeding under control, inspect the rest of his body for injuries. Administer first aid (with another staff member). Once bleeding has stopped, change Jake's clothes, continue to reassure and settle him etc. Fill out injury form, notify parents etc.

For Gaby and Rose you need to deal with it, like you mentioned. Fill out an accident form, notify parents.

Rest of the children:

Get another staff member to take them outside for a run or read a story to the group until this is sorted.

Also, you may need to combine groups together in order to get more staff to help with this situation since it is all happening at once. It's a good idea to get the director involved in helping to deal with the children or one of the accidents that had occurred.

The above are just the points that I'd add...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

onturk

Re: CSCN11B - Scenario: Julie, Jake, Gaby & Rose

Post by onturk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Trust me it has helped and thank you sooo much!