Creating Different Styles Of Obsevations

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nicoletteb

Creating Different Styles Of Obsevations

Post by nicoletteb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Hey Guys!

Not sure if I'm in the right spot, but please need help!!!!

I need to give four styles of observations, and Ive never done any style observation other than sort of making up my own way and evaluate through the EYLF booklet.

So, I've got a learning story:

This morning Lucas was using the computer. I went over to see what the game was. He needed to choose if an animal was big or small out of two different animals. I asked him ‘why is the bear the big one?’ He replied ‘because it is’. I asked ‘is it because it is taller do you think?’ He replied ‘yes’. He then chose another game where he needed to count toes and buttons, the game began and the voice started counting the toes. I asked him ‘can you count them too?’ He then started to count along with the computer ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10’ He then moved on to the buttons. I asked ‘how many buttons are there?’ He counted them from one to five. More buttons then appeared and I said ‘I wonder how many buttons there is this time?’ He was able to count them from one to seven and moved onto another game.

1. What is a Time sample, and can I use this learning story as a time sample
2. What is a checklist
3. What is a Specimen record

I need to do a running record as well. Is this okay?

Running Record

Child’s Name: Thomas J
Date & Time: 05/03/2014
Place: Inside Free Play
Observed Event:
Thomas sits in the book corner on her bottom with his right and left legs folded and tucked underneath one another. In his lap is a book. While looking down at the book and using his right hand pincer grasp, he takes hold of a page and turns the page over from right to left.

Then, what does it means when they ask an interpretation needs to be decoded?

Really thnx for your help!

Nicolette

Lorina

Re: Creating Different Styles Of Obsevations

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm

You seem to be on the right track...

See if the following topic helps:

Diploma - Observation types

:geek:,
L.A

nicoletteb

Re: Creating Different Styles Of Obsevations