Cognitive/language development observation template

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tracy_xoxo

Cognitive/language development observation template

Post by tracy_xoxo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi,
Im a 1st year diploma of childrens services student. Have just started the thinking and communicating cluster. i have to design a template specifically to observe cognitive/language development. i have uploaded mine here. would love feedback! What to add? remove? anything really.

Thanks in advance guys :)
Tracy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Re: Cognitive/language development observation template

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Tracy,

Looks good!

Is there a specific age range you have to do this for or is it a general one?

The only thing I could probably suggest to you is under the language development heading you could probably add something like (this list is for preschool children):

- Pays attention
- Knows names of shapes and colours
- Names familiar objects/animals.
- Understands and carries out instructions.

If you were doing this observation for another age group, check out the language developmental milestones (available on this site) for that specific age group and you can add them under that particular heading. To find children developmental milestones go to Resources, Child Stages of Development. Or click on the link below:

Child Stages of Development

Hopefully this makes sense!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

tracy_xoxo

Re: Cognitive/language development observation template

Post by tracy_xoxo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks heaps for your help. The age group im observing is 2 - 4 years. i gave it a go on my prac placement and it seemed to work well. but i was wondering if there was enough info on it. Adding the milestones is definitely a great idea.