CHCORG506E - Scenario: Ellen - Directive Wants To Cut Costs

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
elanf
Participator
Participator

CHCORG506E - Scenario: Ellen - Directive Wants To Cut Costs

Post by elanf » Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Having trouble completing this first assignment on making ethical decisions!

I have attached a photo of the question, as it is quite long.
IMG_0707.JPG
So anyway, what I have for my answer so far is;

As part of the Education and Care Services National Law & regulations (126, Division 4) the qualification requirements for educators at a center-based service are that at least 50% of the educators must have, or be working towards, at least an approved diploma level education and care qualification, therefore I do not agree that the first cost-cutting strategy is appropriate or ethical.
Secondly, educators need to actively supervise and involve young children, how can this be done if they are to spend their day cleaning benches, windows and doing the washing? It simply cannot. This is a disappointment for both the children and their families, also displays a level of disrespect, as they pay this service for that exact quality of care.
As long as the ingredients included in the sandwiches (and the hot meals) provided and served to children are nutritious and adequate in quantity; & the foods provided must also be chosen having regard to the dietary requirements of individual children, I find no problem in offering hot meals on only three days a week.
Instead of drastically reducing expenditure on play equipment and consumables, the center could dedicate itself to using recyclables, ie, re-using paper/cardboard for office use or children's crafts, including natural materials in children's play to extend their knowledge, purchasing powdered paint (to be made to used) etc.

This is all I have thus far, and for part b i realise I put some of that in the part a answer.

thank you for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Re: CHCORG506E - Scenario: Ellen - Directive Wants To Cut Costs

Post by Lorina » Mon May 30, 2016 11:18 am

You're points are all valid, I just think you need to link these to the Regulations, OH& legislations etc. as you did to the qualification requirements...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

elanf
Participator
Participator

Post by elanf » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 am

Thank you so much Lorina! I have 3 more questions relating to this scenario that I am not 100% about. The Question reads as follows;

A matter of ethics

Ellen meets with the owner of the service Paul, to raise her concerns in relation to the directive. Paul is very dismissive of Ellen's concerns. He has come up with yet more 'great ideas' to reduce costs;
1. His 18 year old daughter Gemma, will be employed as a Certificate III trainee so that she can fill absences as they arise. Ellen has met Gemma, and while she is a nice enough young person she has told Ellen she wants to be a landscaper and doesn't really 'like little kids'.
2. Paul tells Ellen that if all infants and toddlers are kept awake and put to bed at the same time (instead of the current practice of individual sleep routines) then he can reduce the hours needed for a floater to cover meal breaks.

Paul seems very pleased with his ideas and cannot understand when Ellen becomes concerned and upset.

c) In relation to the ECA code of ethics, education and care services national regulations and the national quality standards how should Ellen address Pauls 'ideas'?
Ellen should make sure Paul is aware of the National Law and Regulations - particularly 81 states that a service must take reasonable steps to ensure that the needs for sleep and rest of children being educated and cared for are being met, having regard to the ages, development stages and INDIVIDUAL needs of the children.
As for Paul’s daughter Gemma, Ellen should make it clear that she (Gemma) should have to go through the same selection process, be screened (working with children check, police check etc), and be interviewed for the job just as any other applicant would. Bring the ECA code of ethics to Paul's attention where it states that 'the protection and wellbeing of children is paramount, and therefore speaking out or taking action in the presence of unethical practice is an essential professional responsibility.' In order for a person to take on the responsibility as an educator they need to have the right attitude and enjoy being around children, helping them to grow and develop into the future generation.

d) What are the potential problems the above suggestions could create?

-workplace conflict ?

(not too sure on this one)

d)for this task refer to the ECA code of ethics VII. in relation to myself as a professional, I will. Select one of the nine statements and describe how you could translate the concept to practice:

3. seek and build collaborative relationships -
By continually engaging, inviting and welcoming new professionals (of all qualifications, gender, age and knowledge) into the Service. By having open and honest communication about personal and professional practices and strategies, providing each other with feedback (positive or critical) on these professional practices, to constantly improve the quality of care we provide. By building collaborative relationships not only with professionals, but with families as well, I will be able to gain knowledge on the children as well as their environment and context, which then allows me to cater to each child's individual interests, learning abilities and general capabilities.

THank you in advance for your help and feedback !! :) :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:59 pm

All your responses are good and detailed! You related them back to the regulations which supports Ellen in her concerns! :thumb:

For 3) regarding the potential problems Paul could dismiss your claims about his daughter being uninterested and that she is the best person for the job. Also, Paul could say that the children all need to rest at the same time because that's when they all seem to be tired.. Basically he could come up with a whole bunch of excuses just to make sure that he covers his own a** when cutting costs (although I'm not sure you can add that to your assignment...hahahaha...but you get the idea).

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

elanf
Participator
Participator

Post by elanf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:24 pm

THank you for your response Lorina. It has definitely helped me to understand better question 3 as well!

:)