CHCFC504A LA18

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Brith McLaren

CHCFC504A LA18

Post by Brith McLaren » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:08 pm

I am a bit stuck on how to answer this question.
Do I explain how the children see the activities I put out as just girls or boys area?
I am not sure how to word it!

Hope someone can can give a bit of help, thanks B

Lorina

Re: CHCFC504A LA18

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:43 am

I think you are referring to "gender bias", Like when you set up block area with cars girls it may prohibit girls from playing there. Likewise, when setting up home corner with dolls, boys may not want to play... So to overcome this you could talk about the different roles girls and boys have in the community. For example: dads help look after babies just like mums and mums know how to build things like dads. If you can find a few images on each gender in different roles then you could add it to the areas to encourage boys and girls to play. The following information may help as well:
Why Does GEnder Matter

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Brith McLaren

Re: CHCFC504A LA18

Post by Brith McLaren » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you L.A this was very helpful, the article is very good and gives a good insight to the gender bias. Thanx again. B