CHCFC502A - Report On Program Design Linking To Theories & References

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Tabitha

CHCFC502A - Report On Program Design Linking To Theories & References

Post by Tabitha » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Assement 2 question 2
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
2. Write 1000 words (±10%) linked to theory and referenced, on the design of your program in Question 1. In your response discuss the following:
a) Reasons for selecting specific activities
b) Links to developmental level of age group
c) Refer to principles of growth and general physical development including;
Qualitative and quantitative changes
Chronological and maturational age
Gross motor, fine motor, coordination
Fundamental movement skills
Kinaesthetic awareness
Sensory motor development
Cultural and family values
d) Importance of physical skill development in relation to childhood obesity
e) Links to the National Child Health and Wellbeing Core Principles
f) Importance of you engaging and interacting with children:
g) Link to theories of maturation and percentile norms
h) Relevant Accreditation Principles and how they relate to your program

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
The activities I have selected for the weekly program in Assessment one will cover all areas of learning and development. I have based this program from my observations on my prac placement at Li-Lea Pad family daycare. I have chosen activities that are age appropriate.
From looking at the developmental milestones documentation on the ACECQA website, the activities I have planned will cover the skills children this age, three to five,will be learning and developing. The activities are age appropriate as at this age, 3 to 5 years, children are developing skills such as learning to be independent, starting to learn to count, write, learn colours, sharing, language such as talking more fluently, developing their fine and gross motors such as using safety scissors, drawing shapes, riding a small tricycle, and balancing on a low balance beam.

The weekly program I have in assessment one links to elements in Quality Area 2: Children's health and Safety. We promote the health and well being of each child as per Standard 2.1. How this is done is that I have covered all areas of learning, making sure we have physical play as being active is very important to preventing childhood obesity, as by being physically active children are burning up the energy intake from their food while having fun and building and strengthening muscle tone.
Preventing childhood obesity will help the child from developing health problems such as diabetes type 2, heart attacks, high blood pressure and some forms of cancers. It helps the child from developing adolescence or adult obesity, prevents the child from being bullied at school about their weight, becoming a social outcast and or developing body image issues, which could lead to mental illnesses like anorexia or bulimia.
Elements 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 are covered by making sure the program has activities covering each area, there is rest times planned and if a child need a rest or sleep during other parts of the day they can rest or sleep.
We make sure we set a good example, promote and implement effective hygiene practices which includes having the children wash their hands with soap and water after they toilet, after messy play and before meal and/or snack times and to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze to prevent spreading germs, as per Element 2.1.3.
Along with hygiene practices, we have in place procedures to control the spread of infectious diseases such as to telephone the parent of a sick child to take them home and have an exclusion for the required amount of days, which varies from illnesses. All staff have current first aid training, the centre has a first aid kit and incident forms for any injuries as per Element 2.1.4.
As per Elements 2.2.1 and 2.2.2,the meals and snacks provided are nutritious, following the healthy eating guidelines. We have physical play planned for each day, if the weather prevents us from going outside we can set up an obstacle course inside, set up jumping mats or dance to music.
Following Elements 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4, we will make sure that every precaution is taken to protect children from harm and any hazard likely to cause injury such as keeping cleaning chemicals and any medications locked away on a secure place and adequate supervision to intervene if a child is at risk of having a fall or starting a fight with another child. All staff have current first aid training, the centre has a first aid kit and incident forms for any injuries and/or incidents. There are policies and procedures in place to help guide staff when dealing with any incidents or emergencies. We have a fire drill practised regularly, as to help the children and staff understand the procedure if there is ever is a fire or a need to evacuate quickly. All staff are trained with knowledge of the procedures when they see a child in care that they have suspicions of being at risk or abused, such as if they see unusual bruising, scratches and/or behaviour to record their findings, see how the child and parent interact upon arrival and departures, and when unsure to seek help from higher authorities such as the room leader, or the director.
We as educators are not just to supervise the children. We are to engage and interact with the children in our care. This is very important as we are setting an example for the children on how to treat others, we can help the children with developing and strengthening their language and social skills. By interacting with the children in our care, over time we develop trust based relationships.
If we take a look at Erikson's stages of Psychosocial stages, the children in the group the program is designed for would have progressed through stage one, Trust vs Mistrust, and stage two, Autonomy vs Shame and Doubt , and are onto stage three,Initiative vs Guilt. We need to provide quality care for the children as they need to be able to be independent and know that the people caring for them are looking out for the best interest of the child and will not endanger them.
Theorist Arnold Gesell developed some of the first milestones that children should meet, which was the beginning of the idea that child development happens in stages. These milestones are called the Gesell Developmental Schedules.The Gesell Developmental Schedule was able to compare a child's development to the standard norm, which was established through extensive studies of children. The schedule is supposed to be able to give a measure of possible intelligence. According to the schedule, children who show early signs of development were likely to have high intelligence.
Gesell's theory of maturation states that childhood development is mostly biological, not environmental. According to the theory, a stable environment is important to a child, but only so that they can develop naturally according to their genetics. This theory that children develop only according to their biology is called the Gesell Maturational Theory. The Gesell Maturational Theory implies that all environmental factors such as experiences or injuries play only a small role, if any in child development. Gesell believed that our bodies had all the information needed to develop from generations of evolution. According to the Gesell Maturational Theory, the best thing a parent can do is to be sensitive and patient, as they cannot affect development and only offer guidance.
The program I have links up to Quality Area 2 and Quality Area 3. healthy eating is promoted, we do this by displaying the healthy eating pyramid and picture of fruit and vegetables. We provide water for the children to drink and fruit for morning and afternoon tea. I have physical activities planned and I have made sure that what activities I have planned are age appropriate as per standards 2.2.1 and 2.2.2. the outdoor and indoor environments are designed and organised to engage every child in quality experiences as per standard 3.2.1.
References
http://www.acecqa.gov.au/
http://psychology.about.com/library/bl_ ... ummary.htm
http://www.thekidscave.org/child-develo ... velopment/
http://www.activehealthy.com.au/setting ... tation.php
http://www.education.com/reference/arti ... h-problem/

Description and Message:
Sorry for any spelling mistakes, the computer I am using had spellcheck turned off as it went funny on me and I couldn't fix it....

My question is for:
c) Refer to principles of growth and general physical development including;
Qualitative and quantitative changes
Kinaesthetic awareness

it is the only part that I am stumped on, have tried google for help for a week but still stuck. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated as then I can send this subject off. I am so close to the finish as I have six subjects with a only a little work needing to be done to submit them, just that they are a bit confusing and some are tied to the paperwork I need to mail to my rto office from my prac placement....

It is quite exciting, being almost finished :)
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCFC502A - Report On Program Design Linking To Theories & References

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:16 am

Very good start to your response. Well thought out and detailed! I'm adding some information on the points you mentioned which can help you complete your response:

Qualitative and Quantitative Changes

Kinaesthetic awareness

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 am

Just re reading your response... The National Child Health and Well being Core Competencies refer to the following:

Relevance Of National Child Health & Wellbeing Core Competencies

:geek:,
L.A

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:24 am

Thank you for your help Lorna :)