CHCF502B - Obs & Related Experiences For Physical Development

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
manjot
Participator
Participator

CHCF502B - Obs & Related Experiences For Physical Development

Post by manjot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCF502B
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
CHCFC502B Foster physical development in early childhood
Element 1: Provide planned and spontaneous experiences to foster the physical development
of children
Element 2: Create opportunities for children to develop a wide range of physical skills
Element 3: Interact with the child to foster skill development
The purpose of this task is to:
• demonstrate your ability to plan suitable motor skills experiences for young children
• allow you the opportunity to carefully observe how children approach motor skills task
• gain insight into the development of motor skills

S

U

1.Choose a child aged between 0-6 years then:
a) Use the observation format to observe child’s gross motor skills during outdoor play. You should complete four observations.
b) Write a summary of what you have noticed about child’s gross motor skills:
What skills does the child demonstrate?
- running with direction, climbing skills, hand-eye & hand-foot coordination, ball skills, dynamic and static balance, spatial awareness – moving into and out of confined spaces such as through a tunnel, laterality (preference for one side of body eg handedness, footedness, use of equipment
c) Using the planning format, including sketch plan of an outdoor environment, e.g. backyard, park, child care centre playground, then plan 2 gross motor experiences – this may include the use of fixed equipment
d) For each experience identify the specific gross motor skill/s
e) Write an evaluation for each experience and make any necessary adjustment to your plan.
f) At the conclusion of the experiences suggest follow-up strategies

Work place Supervisor’s signature ___________________________________Date____________

Assessor’s Name: _____________________________________

Assessor’s Signature: __________________________ Date: ______________________

Satisfactory Unsatisfactory/ Re-submit

This page is intentionally left blank

Child’s Name: Reeya Age: 3 years 2months
Observations

Gross Motor Skills
Date: 26/8/13
Today when we went outside reeya collected some
Balance beam and asked river for help. She said, “can you help me in making a bridge”? Then I asked Reeya, “what are you going to do with them”? She said, “I am making a bridge”. She hold a beam very strongly and then bent down to put on the ground in a square shape. Then she started balancing. She opened her arms wide and waving her arms up and down pretend as she is flying. When she was balancing on the beam she was stepping in and out of the beam. Her eye and foot co-ordination was getting better when she was doing it again and again. When she finished she said I did it. I said, “well done reeya I liked the way you across the bridge”.
Date: 27/8/13
Today she was excited to climb up the tree. When she noticed a bird nest on the tree. She said, “I am climbing up to the tree and want to see bird nest”. She used her both hands to hold the ladder and put her one foot on the first step of ladder and trying to pulling herself up. She tried to reach second step and stretch her body and balanced her hand and eye coordination. She looks at me and smile. Then she started swinging on the ladder and pushed the ladder with her foot. She was holding the ladder so strongly.
Date 28/8/13

Today she noticed some other children plating with a large ball. She walks towards them and ask if she can join them. River said, “ reeya you can play with us”. She waits for her turn because kids were throwing ball to other kids with their name. When they said reeya go get it. She runs fats and catches the ball and throws it back to other child. She shows her good ball catch control and throws it back. Sometime in her play she kicked the ball with her foot and passed to other friends. She catches the ball using her fingers and has a good hand eye coordination to see when someone throws the ball. She responds so quickly in ball play in catching or throwing.

Date: 29/8/13
Today when we went outside Reeya decided to ride a bike. She run to the bike and put her hat on. She put her foot on the paddle and pulled her body up to sit on the bike. Then she put her second foot on the second paddle. She started paddling and holds the handles very strongly. Bike was bit moving in left direction or sometime in right side. She was trying to balance it and tried to ride in straight direction. Reaching on the main point she got off the bike and turn around to go back the same direction she started from. She was struggling in moving the bike back so I gave her a hand so she can start again.

(print back-to-back)
Summary of what you noticed
I noticed that reeya has an ability to control her movements in a purposeful way and manipulate objects such as balancing on beam she was joining beam altogether to make square shape. She has a good control on her weight shift and weight bearing which helped her to change the position of body while she is running or climbing. Her body muscle is very flexible for easy movements. Her hand and foot co-ordination is good. Playing with larger ball she has a good hand and eye coordination in catching or throwing the ball. When she kicked the ball she maintained balance on her one leg and kicked the ball with second leg. She is becoming confident climber. Her muscle group is flexed and stretched to full use in climbing.
Four possible intentional teaching experiences:
1. I will teach kids to put one foot in front of the other and use their arms for stability. This will help them in balancing on the beam.
2. To improve their hand and eye coordination I give choose some activities such as tossing bean bag into the bucket, catching or throwing balls.
3. We used a ball for this simple relay, but any object could be used, as long as the child passes and receives the object with both hands. Make sure that they are sitting either cross-legged, or on their knees to make sure their hips stay stable while their shoulders turn. It will improve their catching and throwing ball activity.
4. For an engaging activity for overall development of large motor skill coordination, I will set up an obstacle course with common household items such as chairs, boxes, pillows for children to run and crawl through
OUTDOOR PLAN: sketch outdoor area – add experience available daily-sand, water, gardening etc

Experience 1
Skill/s
stand in line and passing the ball

a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)

I will arrange fun outdoor activities for kids. The kids stand in a line and pass the ball to the child behind them. Then they will do it overhead, then between the legs. I will encourage the kids to use both hands together, and make it more fun by having a bucket of objects at the front that have to be transferred to an empty bucket at the back.

EYLF Outcome 1: Children have a strong sense of identity - Children develop their emerging autonomy, inter-dependence, resilience and sense of agency. E.g. “Be open to new challenges and discoveries”, “Motivate and encourage children to succeed when they are faced with challenges.” (p.22)

b)How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate
1. I will provide opportunities for children to engage independently with task and play.
2. I organise learning environments in ways that promote small group interactions and play experiences.
3. I will choose simple and fun activities such as using soft balls and soft toys to attract child’s interest.

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)
1. I will provide them a positive and safe environment.
2. I will give them a plenty of encouragement and support.
3. I will support children’s effort and encourage as appropriate way.

Resources

Chalk to draw line
Ball
Bucket
Experience 2:

Skills
Climbing on rope ladder

a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)
I will give opportunities to children for climbing over and up, down boxes, ladders to strengthen muscles, develop posture. I will use play gym for kids climbing and will use steps to improve their balance and climbing skills. EYLF Outcome 1: Children have a strong sense of identity - Children develop their emerging autonomy, inter-dependence, resilience and sense of agency. E.g. “Be open to new challenges and discoveries”, “Motivate and encourage children to succeed when they are faced with challenges.” (p.22)
b) How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate
1. Children will be encouraged to make choices and decisions about what they would like to use and do.
2. Equipment which is arranged in the correct manner will provide children with challenge. For example, climbing equipment may be arranged in the form of an obstacle course.
3. I would arrange equipment should encourage children to be physically independent.

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)
1. I would share information and provide children with access to resources about the environment.
2. I would provide children with access to a range of natural materials in their environment.
3. I provide resources that encourage children to represent their thinking

Resources

Obstacle course
Rope ladder
playgym
Planning for Development: Gross Motor Skills Evaluation

Experience 1
In this activity catching is a complex task that requires hand-eye coordination as well as timing. Catching involves whole arms and trunk to capture the ball. This is later refined to using only hands and fingers to capture and enclose the ball. This activity requires the co-ordination of both hands and ability to estimate when and where the ball will arrive. The skills children need for optimum gross motor development include rolling, reaching, sitting, crawling, walking, climbing, balancing, running, jumping, catching, throwing and striking. These fundamental gross motor skills will assist children’s lifelong ability to participate in physical activity including sport and other recreational pursuits.

Experience 2

Climbing tasks such as climbing ladders are complex tasks that require children to have good balance and coordination as well as enough strength to hold them upright while climbing. The age at which children are capable of completing these tasks is often heavily influenced by the child's environment.
Climbing is something which some children begin to master early on. It may begin with the self-appointed mission to climb the stairs or climb onto the couch from the floor. It is something instinctive that children do and it is all part of their development and growth. Climbing allows children to improve their coordination and motor skills. This can be through improved fitness levels, spatial and directional awareness as well as balance and agility. The methods used in climbing can help a child’s cognitive development through problem solving, memory and the feelings of fear and motivation often experienced through climbing also have great benefits to children.
Follow Up strategies:
Provide sufficient space, toys, and equipment for child-initiated physical activities outdoors. Wheeled toys, slides, climbers, and other playground equipment sized for toddlers can encourage children to pedal, climb, push, pull, balance, swing, hang, and slide.
Cardboard boxes, tunnels, balance beams, jump ropes, plus a variety of balls and bats provide additional movement options
Participate in physical activities with children. This simple strategy allows adults to model movement skills, offer individualized assistance, learn how children approach and respond to physical challenges, and encourage children to practice and refine their skills
Body and visual awareness: Ask children to imitate body movements. Move as slowly as needed for children to achieve success. At first, model the movement and use verbal instructions. Later, just model or just give verbal directions.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I gave answer to my whole assignment. can anyone check and tell me I am on right track or if there is any mistakes. thanks

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: gross motor development

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:43 am

Hi Manjot,

I’m sorry it’s taken me a few days to get to your question. My little one is teething so it’s been a hectic few days... Anyways, I’ve read your answers and just with your observations you need to add a little more details to them which I’ve explained below. The experiences, linking to the EYLF, your role and child’s efforts are explained well and you’ve added your understanding on these. Just remember if you have gotten the information from another site or a book etc just to reference. Other than a few minor adjustments on the observations, job well done! :thumbup:

OB 26/8/13
When she was balancing on the beam she was stepping in and out of the beam. -

What foot did she use first? Did she put one foot in front of the other. Did she point her foot straight? Add more details.
Her eye and foot co-ordination was getting better when she was doing it again and again.
How do you know? What did she do that you could tell it’s getting better?

OB 27/8/13
She used her both hands to hold the ladder and put her one foot on the first step of ladder and trying to pulling herself up. She tried to reach second step and stretch her body and balanced her hand and eye coordination. She looks at me and smile. Then she started swinging on the ladder and pushed the ladder with her foot. She was holding the ladder so strongly

What foot did she put onto the ladder first? Did she put the second foot onto the same step as well? Please explain.

OB 28/8/13
catches the ball and throws it back to other child.

How does she catch the ball? Does she use both hands to catch? Does she catch it with one hand against her body? Does she use two hands to throw the ball or with one? Add more info.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

manjot
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCF502B - Obs & Related Experiences For Physical Development

Post by manjot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks so much L.A. thanks giving time to read my assignment and giving respond to it. I really appreciate it. God bless bless you and your baby.thanks heapsssssssssssss :kiss: :clap: