CHCECE022 - Scenario: Keira - High Level Of Counting & Pre-Reading Skills

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
smippy
Helper
Helper

CHCECE022 - Scenario: Keira - High Level Of Counting & Pre-Reading Skills

Post by smippy » Mon May 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me any ideas on this scenario question. The scenario is as follows. Keira, 3 years old attends your service.She is interested in numbers and letters and has a high level of counting and pre reading skills due to her interest.She enjoys including numbers and letters in most of her activities and can recognise the numbers 1 to 99. She knows the letters of the alphabet and recognises some marketing symbols, such as coles and big w.Keira is now reading simple words and provides a story with her drawings. Until recently Keira had been grouped with children that are not as advanced as she is.You have spoken to your supervisor because you feel that Keira's indoor and outdoor activivites may need to be adjusted. Now this is question that I am stuck on....... Choose an experience currently provided in your service where you work that would cater for Keira's interests and abilities.If there is not currently one,describe an experience that could be adapted to benefit Keira.
As I am not actually in a placement as yet with this current lot of study but have worked in the industry before I am still at a bit of a loss as to how to answer this question.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue May 26, 2015 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE022 - Scenario: Keira - High Level Of Counting & Pre-Reading Skills

Post by Lorina » Tue May 26, 2015 5:26 am

Some experiences could maybe include matching simple words to pictures - word recognition, learning phonics - sounds letters makes, begin reading simple stories using words she can recognise, learning rhyming words to read - cat, mat, hat, bat etc.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

smippy
Helper
Helper

Re: CHCECE022 - Scenario: Keira - High Level Of Counting & Pre-Reading Skills

Post by smippy » Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Thank you Lorina this was very helpful.