CHCECE021- inclusion of all children

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
rachy

CHCECE021- inclusion of all children

Post by rachy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

Hi everyone, i just want to make sure i am on track with this question and any more ideas would be great.

The question is:- 2. Amelia is 4 years old and has just commenced care at your centre. Amelia lives with her two Dads. You have over heard two children talking about Amelia and how it is ‘funny’ that she has two Dads and no Mum. You have noticed these children are not including Amelia in their play.
a. How could you provide children with opportunities within the curriculum and what resources would you use to learn about similarities and differences. How can we all learn to live together and respect each other’s family structures?

What i have so far:- As an early childhood educator, it is my role to embrace the differences and provide the children with opportunities within the curriculum by embracing the principles in the early years learning framework using the outcomes to provide all the children with the opportunities to experience play base learning, by adding different diversity play based experiences to the rooms program. Karen Kearns states on page 39 “Learning to live together is accepting and embracing diversity by learning about one’s self and others including similarities and differences”. So in Amelia’s case some resources I could use to teach similarities and differences could be to use different books like the “Great big book of families” by Mary Hoffman that features all kinds of families and their lives, I could have different kinds of diversity dress up clothes, multicultural dolls, puppets and have a puppet show with two dads and a child, we could play different kinds of diversity music, I could get the doll house out and only have the dads and children in it, I could add posters around the room showing different families, have group time discussions with the children about their family structure, what they eat, languages then record it on a display chart, I could have different puzzles with people from different families like children with disabilities or in Amelia’s case a same sex puzzle. Every person is provided with EQUAL opportunities and EQUAL access to community resources without PREJUDICE- Karen Kearns

Any help would be great,
Thanks Rach

Lorina

Re: CHCECE021- inclusion of all children

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes that's great! Good ideas! You could also probably find some child friendly stories to read the children about same sex families...

:geek:,
Lorina

rachy

Re: CHCECE021- inclusion of all children

Post by rachy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks Lorina :)