CHCECE020 - Scenario: Farrin - Arriving From Afghanistan

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
JBrown26

CHCECE020 - Scenario: Farrin - Arriving From Afghanistan

Post by JBrown26 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:41 am

Farrin is 4.5 years old and has just arrived with his family from Afghanistan. He has well developed gross motor skills and enjoys kicking, throwing and catching. However Farrin has limited English language skills and because of this he tends to play mostly by himself. Susan the educator in Farrin’s room noticed that Farrin often pushes and hits the younger children, usually girls, causing them to fall.

a)What possible factors may be contributing to Farrin’s behaviour?
Farrin has just arrived from Afghanistan. Farrin’s developmental stage, age, abilities and his differing temperament. Limited English language skills and limited social skills.

b) As an educator, how would you investigate this further?

How would I answer this question, I understand that it involves questioning the families, carers and other professionals in the center but I'm not sure of the actual process for this?

Thank You

Lorina

Re: CHCECE020 - Scenario: Farrin - Arriving From Afghanistan

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Ok, so you're on the right track with your response!

for b) finding out more about his family life, siblings, his culture (usually male can be the more dominate), whether or not his trying to express himself and can't because of this lack of language etc.

:geek:,
Lorina

Dragana

Post by Dragana » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:24 pm

Farrin is 4.5 years old and has just arrived with his family from Afghanistan. He has well developed gross motor skills and enjoys kicking, throwing and catching. However Farrin has limited English language skills and because of this he tends to play mostly by himself. Susan the educator in Farrin’s room noticed that Farrin often pushes and hits the younger children, usually girls, causing them to fall.

a)What possible factors may be contributing to Farrin’s behaviour?
Farrin has just arrived from Afghanistan. Farrin’s developmental stage, age, abilities and his differing temperament. Limited English language skills and limited social skills.

b) As an educator, how would you investigate this further?

How would I answer this question, I understand that it involves questioning the families, carers and other professionals in the center but I'm not sure of the actual process for this?

Thank You

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:05 pm

Yes, you can talk to his family... does he have a younger sister or sibling that he may fight with? Is he an only child? Maybe he isn't used to playing with other children. Communication is also an issue since he may not be able to communicate with the little kids he will resort to pushing. Also, if you can find an interpreter or someone that speaks his language to find out directly from the child himself.

:geek:,
Lorina