CHCECE016 - Scenario: Jasper - Wheezing

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ami1983
Helper
Helper

CHCECE016 - Scenario: Jasper - Wheezing

Post by ami1983 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 pm

hi lorina please help me in
i am doing diploma of childcare from last year but yet finished only 3 study periods........
11. Briefly outline the regulated requirements for administering medications to children. From time to time educators may need to administer prescribed medication to children while they are in attendance at an education and care service, either for a temporary illness or for an ongoing medical condition. Under the National Regulations services ensure that a medication record is kept (Regulation 92) and written authorisation for the administration of medication is obtained (Regulation 93). Under Regulation 95 educators must also ensure that:
• medication is administered from its original container before the expiry or use-by date
• medication is administered in accordance with any instructions attached to the medication or provided by a registered medical practitioner
• prescribed medications are administered from a container that bears the original label with the name of the child it is prescribed for
• a second person checks the dosage of the medication and witnesses its administration to a child (except for in family day care service where only one educator is present)
• details of the administration must be recorded in the medication record.

12. Describe (4) strategies to encourage children to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing. Case Study 1
You are conducting an enrolment meeting with a new family who are starting their 15-month-old son Jasper at the service in two weeks.
While reviewing the enrolment form with Jasper’s mother, you notice that she has written in the allergy section that Jasper has been wheezing a bit at night-time recently. When you ask her if Jasper has seen a doctor about the wheezing, she says that she keeps meaning to take him to her GP, but she has been too busy to get there.
You are concerned about Jasper’s wheezing and feel that you need to follow this up.

Answer the questions that follow.
1. How would you convey your concerns about Jasper’s wheezing to his mother?
I would gently convey her that, it is mandatory that Under the Education and Care Services National Law and Regulations services are required to obtain health information about individual children and to maintain this data in the child’s enrolment record (Regulation 162). So the service needs jaspers health information included his wheezing condition.
then I would also gently intimate her that as I have noticed that you have mention the allergy section in Jasper enrolment form that Jasper has been wheezing a bit at night-time recently .so I would advise you that you must consult with health authorities and share their advice with service so that our service would be able give best practice in relation to jasper’s health.

2. What suggestions would you make to Jasper’s mother to address his wheezing? Include information about individual medical management plans.
3. What information would you seek about wheezing from health authorities to make sure that you are informed before Jasper commences at the service? Include the health authority that you would refer to and details about health information on wheezing.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE016 - Scenario: Jasper - Wheezing

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Maybe you can also offer her an information sheet on wheezing and tell her when you have observed the wheezing of Jasper during the day. You could also try to find a local medical centre near the centre that you could suggest to Jaspers mum so they can go there after she picks him up to get it checked out.

Coughing and Wheezing
Understanding Wheezing

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina