CHC50113 - Differences Between Private Speech & Egocentric Speech

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

CHC50113 - Differences Between Private Speech & Egocentric Speech

Post by WarblerOn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHC50113
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
I can't differentiate the difference between 'Private Speech' and 'Egocentric Speech' I find them very similar, with the answers I've received on the internet and via textbooks of the Frameworks. Please help explain in simple terms what they mean.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I gathered that Private speech means the speech spoken by children. It is the silent dialogue that we carry eith ourselves.

Egocentric speech is the way of the behaviour to suggest Children have not yet developed and learned how to interact with others; it is used for self guidance and direction which then turns into thoughts and being able to gide one's own thinking and problem solving.

(Not sure if this is correct)

Description and Message:
Anyone that can explain I'll bake virtual cookies and send lots of virtual hugs. Thanks.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHC50113 - Differences Between Private Speech & Egocentric Speech

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 am

I was just doing some research on this for you and in one document I found it says that Private Speech was formally known as "Egocentric Speech".
He interpreted this private form of speech (formerly called “egocentric” speech) as just one more manifestation of the profound egocentrism that permeates young children's thinking. Developmentally, it is doomed to extinction as egocentric thinking is supplanted by socialized thinking.
Ref: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail. ... wFkltX.pdf (page 12)

Here is some more information:

Egocentric Speech
Use Of Private Speech

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you anymore,

:geek:,
L.A

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Re: CHC50113 - Differences Between Private Speech & Egocentric Speech

Post by WarblerOn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Thank you for the information :)