Advocate for childrens rights scenarios

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kirstiejm
Participator
Participator

Advocate for childrens rights scenarios

Post by kirstiejm » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:54 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN520 – Advocate for the rights and needs of children and young people
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
I'm just having a little trouble wrapping my head around this, especially since I have risk of harm type questions in my head. I know that when a child is at risk of harm you shouldn't be making false promises (eg. "it will stop soon") but you also dont really have a right to talk to her parents about something that is none of your business. The question is:

Sian is 5 years old and expresses concern that her parents are arguing every night. Sian does not want it to continue and asks for your help.
a) What can you do to support Sian?

b) Who can you speak to?

c) How will you handle the situation?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
a) To support Sian i will offer comfort and allow her to express her feelings with me if she wanted to but not force her to talk to me about everything.

b) i would talk to my room leader and possibly the nominated supervisor if i felt the situation was getting worse.

c) be caring and supportive towards Sian and allow her to express herself, be careful not to make false promises or give false hope, speak to my room leader and nominated supervisor if I feel Sian's situation is getting worse and document what Sian has told me in a diary.

Do these answers sound like I'm on the right track?

Description and Message:

Lorina

Re: Advocate for childrens rights scenarios

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:33 pm

Yes you're on the right track with your response.

For b) I would also speak to the child's mum about it privately. Even though it may not be your business it is obvious that Sian is getting emotionally involved and is affected by it. As part of your duty of care requirements you need to support and by letting the mother knows about what Asian is feeling and saying it may resolve the arguing in front of Sian. Usually parents have no dea how their arguing is effecting their child so it's vest that they know...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A