EYLF PROGRAMMING AND PLANNING DOCUMENTATION

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: EYLF PROGRAMMING AND PLANNING DOCUMENTATION

Post by cathiek » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks Fifi
Do you keep these all together as 1 wall display or all around the room? I have the oddest shaped room and am trying to work out how to best display the eylf stuff.
Cheers
CAthie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey Cathie,

I also have the oddest shape room and it's hard to figure out where to put what when displaying information.... At the moment, I have a display section for "Learning Stories", on a wall the parents directly walk towards when coming into the room... I currently have five learning stories displayed... I typically take them down at the end of the month.... With the EYLF program, dairy, child info sheet, parent info etc... I display this all on a table as the parents walk in the door... That way as they come in they can view any of the daily information they want... I know what you mean though, sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly where to put what!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

janine

Post by janine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 am

Hello there

I am a Canadian early childhood educator with over 15 yrs of experience looking for work in Australia. I am very very impressed with what I have read on your EYLF and it is amazing how inspiring it is to read a country so dedicated to their young children's early learning. :clap:

Janine ;)

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 pm

L.A wrote:Hey Cathie,

I also have the oddest shape room and it's hard to figure out where to put what when displaying information.... At the moment, I have a display section for "Learning Stories", on a wall the parents directly walk towards when coming into the room... I currently have five learning stories displayed... I typically take them down at the end of the month.... With the EYLF program, dairy, child info sheet, parent info etc... I display this all on a table as the parents walk in the door... That way as they come in they can view any of the daily information they want... I know what you mean though, sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly where to put what!

L.A
Thanks for the feedback on displays. I think I will experiment and see where parents pay the most interest. I suppose it is like everything else with they EYLF/NQS - trail and error. It is great having others to network with about all this stuff. Have you read the national regulations that came out last week??
Cheers
CAthie
:?

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:11 am

We have approximately 70-80 enrolled children at our oshc service - does this mean I would need to do that many obs a month :o haha

I think I'll be doing alot of group obs :)

jenstar7

Post by jenstar7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Great article with lots of practical implementation examples.At our centre we do alot of digital documentation for our daily program and the children's porfolio's for Parents to see. How would you include this into your Curriculum Plan?

Jacqui

Post by Jacqui » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:31 pm

I am SO impressed with this site and the depth and amount of research and thought that has been put into it, especially around EYLF and helping people make sense of it - WELL DONE! It is a fabulous resource for all Early Childhood Educators and stakeholders and I cant wait to start sharing my centres progress in terms of embracing EYLF as we go along', it doesnt seem quite so scary now...Many, many thanks for all the work that you've put into this, I will be recommending it to all my colleagues!

sportie

Post by sportie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 pm

hi all
i was just wondering if anyone can help me out, i am trying to work out where activities fall in EYLF, ie where LOC does in come into.
does anyone know any sites that might help me

Cassie

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Cassie

EYLF and LOC (Learning OutComes) are one and the same thing.

The more simple the activity the more easily your will find EYLF in every day things.
JF OB 070911.docx
Above is a copy of an observation I did that I t hunk will show you how easy it is to find EYLF. It only has 2 LOC's in it.

Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey Cassie,

The sample that Lindy attached is a great one to see the Learning Outcomes being used in action, through an experience that the child was involved in. Once you have a read through the Learning Outcomes and begin to understand them you will begin to notice the Learning Outcomes more easily in everyday occurrences and activities. I have written a couple of articles based on the EYLF, which I will provide the links below.I'm not sure if you have read them already. Have a read through both these articles and it should provide you with some further information about Learning Outcomes and how to incorporate it into the program and planning.

1) Understanding The Early Years Learning Framework

2) EYLF Programming & Planning Documentation

If you still don't know how to incorporate Learning Outcomes into activities or require further explanation, please let me know so I can try to help you!

L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello! -Question! I know a while back I printed a great resource from here which was basically the EYLF Outcomes in plain english, with columns of how these Outcomes could be applied/interpreted in everyday situations at work . I stupidly lent it to someone at work, now it's dissapeared and I NEED it! Can one of the Admins help me find and link this info please? Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about. Thanks-sarah

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey Sarah,

How are you?

I know exactly what you're talking about! :)

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... t=60#p1974

L.A

hotpies2006
Participator
Participator

Post by hotpies2006 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:11 am

hi all well i have been doing my documentation on the resources from this site eg program etc etc and i have been introduced to a new way of doing things that is less paper work for the day NOW I AM REALLY :? a gl said i only need to write up everythin in one book and dont need to have a program on wall or what we did today sheet or a relective diary just put it all on one page of book the above info but she did not even have where or which learning outcomes was achieved, i usually highlighter it on my program can any one PLEASE EXPLAIN to me if this is what you are doing and does this sound right, this would be the 5th kind of way of doing this this year since we have started the eylf way, if anyone does it like this can you send me some examples, SO OVER IT :roll:

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 am

Hotpies you are certainly not the only one confused with all this EYLF Business.. I do however know (I think) lol that for NQF purposes you have to be able to link outcomes and quality areas with your paperwork.. There is no template for programming, for observation, for documenting - I constantly change my format trying to find a way that captures everything to dot the i's and cross the t's, I think Im nearlly there but then again it could change. this is a fantastic website and I know we will get the advice and help we need, goodluck

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone: Since designing my templates and reading comments on the EYLF by our members I'm still working hard to figure out an easier way to implement an EYLF program into a centre. I have come up with two samples for a program plan and it can be either used as a daily or weekly plan. The first sample is based on "play based learning" like the sample in the article and the second is based on the learning outcomes. I will make these samples available once I finalize them.

I have also noticed that some members are also considering to buy software to reduce the amount of paperwork involved. Well, in the next couple of months we are trying to create a new EYLF daily and weekly programs, like an online tool which can be easily filled in and printed from this site itself. So, rather than having to print and fill in the information, it can be done all online itself. Other documentations will also include child observations, learning stories and portfolios. I am also designing programs for OOSH and Family Day Care Services. This will make it easier for those of you who are using our programming templates.

I really hope that by releasing this free online tool that this will reduce a lot of the paperwork that is involved with the EYLF. We will keep you all updated on this project and when it will be released.

Hi Magpies: I can tell how frustrated you are with obviously the documentation side of the EYLF. From what you have described, a GL told you to write up everything in one book this doesn't sound too familiar with me? I haven't come across a format like that... I do understand that a lot of centre have different types of program formats that suit the EYLf... Maybe this another way of documenting? Does this new style include everything onto the one format? Like Kristy mentioned you need to include the learning outcomes with your paperwork.... I really hate that you're feeling this way...

Hi Kristy: I think that there being no templates for programming, observations and other documentations makes it even harder for people to get an idea on what's exactly right to do. Everyone who reads the EYLF i think will have their own view on how they interpret the information. So, the way i interpret the information in the EYLF maybe won't be the same as someone else's and I think this causes the confusion. I'm all for people collaborating and working together but I think you need to provide us with something to work with. Clock is ticking, all services must have EYLF implemented by Jan 2012 but how many of us really understand the EYLF and correctly implementing it? Thanks for your feedback by the way, I appreciate it! :mrgreen:

L.A

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Im still playing around with lots of templates - Ive got ideas from other sites and people and added bits n pieces and taken things off.. I could be totally off the beaten track :sweating:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 am

L.A I am really looking forward to what you have planned!

Kirsty your forms looks great!

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:41 am

L.A - Another person looking forward to your next ideas - makes me feel like there really is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Kristy - I'm sure you are on track, it's a matter of trial and error - in my case, heaps of "trials and errors" before I was comfortable and confident about it all - takes time.

Lorina

Re: ONLINE TOOLS and EYLF Programming Documentations Update:

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi All,

Ive been working away on this "online tools" feature for the past few weeks and here is an update on my latest progress to my last post. I will also discuss in more detail about the new online tools feature that will soon available on this site.

In my last post I had mentioned that I am working on 2 different samples for a program. Further to this I have just finalized new styles and made some changes for the following EYLF documentations:

1) Curriculum Plan

I have re-designed the curriculum planning documentations and have created 2 different styles.

i) "Play Based Learning" Style using the play based learning headings.
ii) "Learning Outcome" Style using each of the learning outcomes as headings.

So, you can just choose and use which ever format you find it easier for you and your centre. I have also developed 2 different formats for each of the curriculum formats:

a) Daily Curriculum Plan - this is a daily curriculum plan which can be used daily.
b) Weekly Curriculum Plan - this is a weekly curriculum which can be used over a weekly period.

I have also added each of the 5 Learning Outcomes at the bottom of the curriculum plan which you can use to refer back to when adding the learning outcomes to each of the activities that are on the curriculum plan. I have also incorporated a checklist which you can use to verify that you have incorporated all the elements of the EYLF on your curriculum plan.

This is definitely an improved and updated version than my first curriculum sample that I have in my article. Hopefully this should make it alot easier and it has been a great learning experience for me trying to find out what works well.

I know there have been alot of questions in the forum regarding Learning Stories & Reflections of Our Day and how to incorporate the EYLF into each of these documentations. I have also come up with a design and finalized a learning story and a reflections of our day template for you to use as part of your documentation.

2) Learning Stories - added a checklist that links the EYLF into each learning story. Same template can be used for individual or group learning stories and you can easily upload photos to incorporate it into the Learning Story.

3) Reflections Of Our Day - this is still a work in progress. I am improving a lot more on the basic style from what I had previously by adding photos and a check box which links the EYLF into your reflection.

---> Documentations for Family Day care and OOSH - This is still on my to-do list. Should get to this once I have the others done.

What is the Online Tools:

I know in my last post I had mentioned briefly about the online tool. I will give you a bit more details on what its about. Basically, this is an new tool that should hopefully make your programming time a bit easier. For example, if you need to complete your curriculum plan at work, you can simply open this tool from your computer (you need to be connected to the internet), select your style, simply type in the fields in the online form itself and in the end print it out from your computer. This will allow you to do the following:

1) All the programming documentation styles and formats are already available.

2) Complete your documentations online itself.

3) Easily assign the various input keys, EYLF learning outcomes and other elements to your documentations.

4) Import photos to the documentation from your computer. This is one of the features I love. You can easily add any photos to learning stories, reflections of our day, etc.. by importing them from your computer itself. This online tool will re-size the photo size and insert it into your form.

5) Re size the size of the documentation form to which ever size you like - A4, A3, postcard size, massive chart size.. The size is up to you.

The above are some of the features that will be available. I hope this will cut down on the paperwork and make it easy for you to organize and complete it. This online tool is not as complicated as software and this is a start to what we can provide to you. Hopefully we can develop it further with more functionality in the future based on your feedback after the release.

Please note that this has not been released on this site yet.. The online tool and the new styles are still currently under development and I am hoping to get a first version released in the next month or so. Will update you further on the progress..

L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:36 pm

L.A your one amazing chick! :clap:

I'll take my number from the box and join the queue! :thumbup: