EYLF PROGRAMMING AND PLANNING DOCUMENTATION

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Re: EYLF PROGRAMMING AND PLANNING DOCUMENTATION

Post by kristyl74 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:47 pm

I think I just passed out :-)) L.A. I personally cannot thankyou enough

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Fantastic L.A!!! That's the best news..................Thank you so much, please know that your hard work is greatly appreciated, can't wait! :inlove:

Sonja

Post by Sonja » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:18 pm

L.A. Thank you!!! I am echoing all the above praises and looking forward to the release of your lastest templates!
Cheers, Sonja :)

~Suzie~

Post by ~Suzie~ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am

Hi LA,
Where do I find the templates you outlined above please? :)

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 am

They are not onsite yet Suzie

May be a few months before they are.

~Suzie~

Post by ~Suzie~ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks for your reply Lindy.
I'm in the process of making up some templates, and redesigning others, and have found this site to be very useful.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 am

Agree with you completely about how useful this site is.

lisa1980

Post by lisa1980 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi guys,
Im new to programming and the EYLF, i just have a few questions if anyone can help me out, ive been reading the forums and i think they are fantastic and i love the articles!!! ok here are my questions:

At my new centre we are implementing a weekly program so,
- The expereinces that i put on the curriculum plan for the week are they from what i have observed the week before regarding the childrens interests, learnign stroies and daily reflections i took the week before? ..if that makes sense...can anyone clarify how it works so i can get a better understanding....do you also add on expreinces on the plan throughout the week that were spontaneous or intentional that you have observed or do you leave that to put on the plan for the week after??
sorry but im just really confused and if anyone can explain the whole prosees to me in simple forms i would love it....

- can anyone put up examples of their weekly plan that are under the 5 outcomes and how they implement it along with how they incorporate the learnign stories, obs and daily reflection to it.....

- if their is input from the parents during the week about a particular experince or topic how does that also fit into the weekly plan, examples put on here would be so great, im the type of person who needs to see how it is done so be able to understand it better.....

- where you have the cultural component what sort of comments or experiences do you add in that section?.....

- the group borad goals are they the 5 outcomes or do we make up our own broad goals for the group?

- the template i was giving at work has a broad goal for the week and then under each of the 5 outcomes we have to add framework goals, do we make our own goals that we want the children to achieve under each of the outcomes (because thats what the director said) or do we use the goals that are set under each othe the sub elements under each outcome?

- at the end of the week does everyone do a write up about the weekly reflection on how the week went etc like we used to with the old programming? can anyone post examples of what they do regarding reflection of the week.......

- what about portfolios, do they contain the learning stories i take? do you have seperate folders for each child????
can anyone give me an example fo what they have put in the portfolios like a notice to explain to the parents what they are about.

- does anyone do 'what we did on the weekend' sheets to give to the parents? if you do, when you receive them back do you implent them in the weekly plan as well the week after you get them back?

sorry about all the questions guys but like i said i am new to EYLF and programming and my centre hasnt sent us to any workshops and hasnt given us much to work on so im trying to research it all myself....

all information and examples that can be put up would be so helpful to me and others im sure....

cheers, Lisa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Lisa,

I’m happy to hear that you find this forum and articles useful… Thanks for the feedback… :thumbup:

The past couple of weeks have been really busy both here at home and at work so I’m sorry for not getting back to your post sooner. I am going to try and best answer your questions for you so here it goes…
The expereinces that i put on the curriculum plan for the week are they from what i have observed the week before regarding the childrens interests, learnign stories and daily reflections i took the week before?

Ok so when you are doing a weekly programming the only pre planning that should already be on your weekly program are experiences for following up on observations, planned special events and any intentional teaching experiences. The rest of the experiences and activities that you gather through spontaneous or children’s interests should be added onto the program then and there and any interest or spontaneous experiences should be followed through when it happens. So, let’s say Charlie brought in a dinosaur from home. He showed some of his friends and they all begin to show an interest in dinosaurs. BEFORE we would program and plan for the dinosaur interest for the following week but NOW you should try and follow up on the children’s interest on the day. So, at the beginning of your weekly program, it could be blank however you add experiences and activities that the children participated in throughout the day.

can anyone put up examples of their weekly plan that are under the 5 outcomes and how they implement it along with how they incorporate the learnign stories, obs and daily reflection to it.....

So, basically you want an idea of a weekly plan and how to incorporate the activities… I will be able to give you a sample over the weekend if you don’t mind waiting.

if their is input from the parents during the week about a particular experince or topic how does that also fit into the weekly plan, examples put on here would be so great, im the type of person who needs to see how it is done so be able to understand it better.....

All you need to do is add the experience/activity onto the program using the correct input key to determine where the experience has come from. For example: Sarah’s mum told you that they went to the beach on the weekend and Sarah enjoyed digging a hole and filled it with water. Think of an experience such as “Adding water, buckets, spades to sandpit” . Then next to the experience I will add the family input icon.
where you have the cultural component what sort of comments or experiences do you add in that section?.....

Could be anything from cooking a particular food, adding multicultural dolls to home corner, using cultural books to discuss during group time etc…
the group borad goals are they the 5 outcomes or do we make up our own broad goals for the group?

Yes. I use one of the sub outcomes (1.2, 5.2 etc.) from the EYLF Learning Outcomes. I will also add one of the centers philosophy.

the template i was giving at work has a broad goal for the week and then under each of the 5 outcomes we have to add framework goals, do we make our own goals that we want the children to achieve under each of the outcomes (because thats what the director said) or do we use the goals that are set under each othe the sub elements under each outcome?

As far as I know and what I currently do at work, I use the sub elements under each learning outcome. I add the outcomes to each of the experiences and activities I have on my program. That’s why they are there so it can help you determine which Learning Outcome to use.

at the end of the week does everyone do a write up about the weekly reflection on how the week went etc like we used to with the old programming? can anyone post examples of what they do regarding reflection of the week.......

I haven’t started doing it, simply because the daily reflection should be more than enough for you to reflect on how the day went. I don’t think it’s necessary to do a weekly one as well. I do have some self evaluation questions that you can use, if you would like.
- what about portfolios, do they contain the learning stories i take? do you have seperate folders for each child????
can anyone give me an example fo what they have put in the portfolios like a notice to explain to the parents what they are about.

Ok with portfolios well I’m kinda trying to work out an easier way… At the moment, the ones I’m currently using are very time consuming. For each child, each month I need to include artwork, program summary, photo observation and work sample. Honestly I really think it’s just way too much and it does take up a lot of my time. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what is needed to make up a child’s portfolio.

- does anyone do 'what we did on the weekend' sheets to give to the parents? if you do, when you receive them back do you implent them in the weekly plan as well the week after you get them back?

Well this depends on how many you get back. Like on Monday I had 5 parents tell me about their weekend, so I just used the information to work out some experiences and each day that their child comes I will implement it. For example: Cassie comes on Mon, Thurs, Fri. Her dad told you that she has been helping out in the kitchen a lot during dinner time. So, I have 3 days to chose from to implement an experience based on Cassie’s interest in the kitchen.

It’s a shame to hear that your centre isn’t embracing the change… It will make your day a hell of a lot easier once you begin to implement the EYLF at your centre. I’m glad to see though that at least you are making the effort to figure this all out for yourself. Well, regarding the EYLF you found the right site…LOL… There are not a lot of sites out there willing to share so much information and documentation without a price…

Anyways, I really hope that this clarifies a few of your questions and I will try to get a weekly completed sample up over the weekend. Oh just before I go I’m not sure if you are aware but we will be releasing an online tool feature which will allow you to create EYLF documentation online by clicking and adding the correct fields. Here is the link for further information: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... =100#p3329

Enjoy the rest of your week,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

lisa1980

Post by lisa1980 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi L.A

thank you so much for your reply you have helped me alot.

so just to clarify, the child directed obs and learning stories i take for individuals and groups can be planned for on the plan a week after i take them, is that right?

and the observations and learning stories need to include the learning outcomes, principles and practice that was observed?
because on your child directed template there isnt a space to include what learning outcome, priniple and practice it relates to but i might add this as a feature on mine, would that be beneficial?

again thanks so much, i actually did a plan for all the rooms at work because we are a new centre that hasnt opened yet so i had to include all the expereinces that i set out, but once we open up i will do what you said and see what the children are interested in and when i start taking obs and daily reflections i will add them in as i go along.

thanks again and i cannot wait to see the weekly sample and all other work you are doing,

honestly you are a lifesaver and have made it so easy to understand, i was so close in quitting from working in childcare once i heard about all this stuff about EYLF because from all the other readings i have done i never understood it....

the only other thing i think now i need to understand more is about how to link the expereinces to the outcomes as its a bit confusing, ive read them and linking them to each outcome seems a bit confusing....i know u have the simplified version but i still dont understand it fully.

if theres anyone who can explain it to me i would apreciate it so much as at the moment i have just been linking them to any of the outcomes that i think is right.

have a great week and hope to speak to you so

cheers, Lisa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Lisa,
so just to clarify, the child directed obs and learning stories i take for individuals and groups can be planned for on the plan a week after i take them, is that right?

EYLF speaking it should be done as soon as possible like the next day so the child can carry on with their interest as it happens. For example: if you took an observation of Bob and through your observation you want to do a follow up activity you should do it the next time Bob is at the centre, rather than a week later. This is because, Bob is showing an interest now and we have to try and extend on it. This goes the same with the learning stories. However, sometimes it's very difficult to find the resources, equipment necessary to extend on the interest right then and there so that's why you can possibly plan it for a week later. Although if it is possible plan for the sooner rather than later.

and the observations and learning stories need to include the learning outcomes, principles and practice that was observed?

Yes, you're right. I haven't included a specific area for this on the samples in my article because I add this in the Reflection of Learning area. However, I have included this in the "online tools documentation" which will make it easier to include these elements.

if theres anyone who can explain it to me i would apreciate it so much as at the moment i have just been linking them to any of the outcomes that i think is right.

That is basically the first step to understanding them. For each experience, find a learning outcome to link it with. There is no right or wrong because each of the learning outcomes can fit into almost anything. So, when you are linking the learning outcomes think about what you want the children to achieve or the goal you want the children to work towards. If you are still a little confused on which learning outcome to use have a read through the EYLF Educators guide and this will also provide examples on how children and childcare professionals can promote each of the learning outcomes.

Thanks for your comments by the way and I'm happy to hear that I was able to uncomplicate the EYLF for you! :giggle:

Enjoy the weekend,

L.A

lisa1980

Post by lisa1980 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi L.A
thanks so much for your help.
Just another quick question, regarding the child directed obs and learning stories, say Bob is showing an interest in Dinosaurs etc and brings in a dinosaur from home and he shows his friends etc etc, do i do an ob on that or do i just put it up on the plan as child interest? i was thinking i have 12 children a day and if theres a few of them that show a particular interest during the day how do i know which ones to extend on? If im puting up a childs interest on the plan does it have to have an ob as its backup as to why its on there or i was thinking i might have a sheet called 'Child input and interest' to display and each week ill write on it what input and interest came up....and then put them on the plan....does that make sense? lol......so if Adam came up and said "can i use scissors to do cutting" id put it on the plan but i dont have to do an ob on it do i? Is it just easier with obs and learnign stories to just have focus children like we used to int he past each week? the hard thing with this is, that if you are observing specific chidlren what if you see something significant another child does whos not on your list, then they miss out on having their interest extended on right? D oyou have to do a particular ob if parents come in and say "oh we went to the beach ont he weekend?" so you extend on the beach but does it have to have an ob to go with it??? what if that child isnt one of your 'focus children'?? i hope all this makes sense....i get everything else apaprt from when to take obs and learnign stories of the children....hope you can help me......
also are you going to put up your sample weekly plan....

thanks

cant wait to also see the sample learning stories etc you are putting up

cheers,
Lisa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Lisa,

How's it going? Just thought I'd get back to you with the questions you've asked.

say Bob is showing an interest in Dinosaurs etc and brings in a dinosaur from home and he shows his friends etc etc, do i do an ob on that or do i just put it up on the plan as child interest?

You can add bobs interest onto the plan as child interest if you happen to set up an experience based on this interest.
i was thinking i have 12 children a day and if theres a few of them that show a particular interest during the day how do i know which ones to extend on?

You extend on the ones that are predominant in the group. Even if only a couple of children are only interested in a particular topic, once you begin to extend on it others will also become involved.

If im puting up a childs interest on the plan does it have to have an ob as its backup as to why its on there or i was thinking i might have a sheet called 'Child input and interest' to display and each week ill write on it what input and interest came up

I don’t think that you need to do an ob as a back up. If you added it onto the plan and you use the input key as to where you got the experience from in the first place then I think that is sufficient enough. You don’t need to do any extra sheet as this is more work for you, just add it all onto the program itself.

"can i use scissors to do cutting" id put it on the plan but i dont have to do an ob on it do i?

That’s right, just add it onto the program… otherwise you will be doing obs for everything…LOL..

is it just easier with obs and learnign stories to just have focus children like we used to int he past each week? the hard thing with this is, that if you are observing specific chidlren what if you see something significant another child does whos not on your list, then they miss out on having their interest extended on right?

Yes, it is much easier to have a group of focus children to do observations for like you said. But instead, so you don’t miss out on something significant, instead of having particular groups you can just do random obs. Like if you have to observe 3 children a day for obs, just randomly choose 3 children to do observations on rather than in a group.

Do you have to do a particular ob if parents come in and say "oh we went to the beach ont he weekend?" so you extend on the beach but does it have to have an ob to go with it???

With parent input or feedback, think of an experience and add it onto the program as parent input using the input key.

Hopefully this should answer most of your questions.

also are you going to put up your sample weekly plan....
cant wait to also see the sample learning stories etc you are putting up

Yes..I understand that you are patiently waiting for the weekly plans… I’m trying to get it done as soon as I can! The designing part of long daycare documentations are almost done. Currently the application for these online tools are under development since it involves development of its programming scripts etc...I am hoping and trying to get this done as soon as we can. Will update when its ready for launch.

L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Gets the party poppers and confetti ready!!

L.A surely you know I'm hopeless at waiting!!

lol

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Ive tried lots of different ways to collect information and obs for childrens learning Journeys and have not yet found a way. I feel as though all I do is paper work and never spend any time with the children, I suprised I know who they are with my head down all the time.
I was taking it home, and that ment I was neglecting my family and sometimes used avoidance behaviour by cleening the house and when the house was cleen I would spring cleen cuboards, then I'd really get behind.
I have had enough of being bogged down with paper work and feel as though I can not meet the childrens needs nurturing and careing for these little innocent human beings.
I know the EYLF is about learning through play, but with so much paper work I am not enjoying my job and dont feel as though I can contribute to that play as I am so stressed about getting the documentation compleated.
I just wanted to ask everyone if that sounded ok as a letter of resignation, because as I was typing it I thought it started to sound like a letter of resignation because as I stated earlier "I've had enough"

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:31 am

Dear Justathought

I am so truly sorry to hear that EYLF has made you feel so stressed.

Do you have a mentor/supervisor/coordinator you can talk to about all this??

I'd be happy to talk you through a basic rundown that our scheme (I'm FDC) has shown us if that would help you.

It is only a few pages maximum.

Please pm me if you would like someone to talk to and I will give you my email address and we can chat.

Lindy

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 am

it's not the EYLDF that has got me down its that fact that Im too busy worrying about writing about what has happenend or writing an ob that while I'm doing that and reflecting on the learning thats occouring then planning about what might happen next the children have already taken care of that by extending on their play and ideas on their own while Im busy typing up the ob or learning thats occoured and I miss the next bit.
I'd like to know how ratio changes will help also, I'm told that I should be doing all this paper work during sleep time, ratio's have changed at our centre 1 to 11 when we can if not 1 to 15 I have 25 children in my room and only 5 sleep if Im doing all this paper work while children are sleeping Im really leaving the other staff member with 20 children how does that work.
There is more to children than evaluating them and writing about every thing they do, I dont need to do this, I know when a child is not developing at his/her age ability without writing about it, and all the while that Im writing this stuff for profile or childrens journeys the child who needs assistance with play and social skills is not getting it because Im too busy typing on my computer or testing children by evaluating them, to me as a kindergarten teacher would say why do they test children before entering primary school on reading and writing their only 4 or 5 years old.
Im sorry I feel this way too but like I said before with all this paper work I dont feel as though I can meet the childrens needs which is nurturing and caring for these tiny innocent people not testing them I can extend with children and their interests alot better and alot quicker if I didnt have to write a journal about it, these journals are taking me away from the real picture, the stuff thats happening now the stuff that cant wait for you to write about it first then continue then write about it some more.
Its over for me and I feel as though when I hand in my letter of resignation it will be a weight off my shoulders, financially my family will struggle, but Id rather worry about money than have to have my head down doing paper work all day everyday, if thats what i wanted to do then I would have got an office job, which I dont have because I dont want to be sitting at a desk all day.
Such is life........................ :sweating: :wave: :(

lisa1980

Post by lisa1980 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:34 pm

just a quick question, regarding learning stories, do we have to do an evaluation at the end like the observations???? so once we decide 'whats next' for the child or children we evaluate on what happened yeah??

thanks guys

Lisa
p.s can you guys post examples of observations, photo observations and learning stries you have done so i can get an idea on how to do them

pamela-leigh

Post by pamela-leigh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:43 pm

I felt exactly the same way.. and sometimes still do. I went to an EYLF seminar at the beginning of the year and I came away thinking that it was going to be a whole lot better and a lot less paper work required!! I spent the next 5 months struggling with learning the new framework, trying to implement it into my service and developing new templates to use. It did not at all seem a whole lot better and was weighed down with all of the new paperwork.
I honestly felt like I was bluffing my way through it!! I had support from my director and fellow educators but it truly felt like they, too, were bluffing their way through it too!!
I had never heard of EYLF before this year. I had finally managed to get my old way of programming (block programs based on developmental areas) down packed and was finally confident with it all. Then came EYLF!
After lots of stress and tears I finally realised NO ONE IS PERFECT!! I was worried that when Accreditation came I would let my co workers down due to not having all of the child observations done, incomplete program evaluations and days missing out of my Daily Diary.
I do not worry anymore! Im now looking forward to the new year, starting fresh! I am proud of what I have accomplished and learnt this year regarding EYLF. (Life would be boring without challenges!!!) To get to this state I forced myself to stand back and look at what the children I care for have accomplished themselves. All are confident, happy and now fully toilet trained!!!! All of the days I was stressing over the program, I managed to push it all aside and ensure all of the children were comfortable in their environment.
So to everyone who has not yet 'got the knack' of EYLF, dont stress too much. As long as you are doing your best to work out your way to do it, and the children you have the honour of caring for are happy and confident learners, you will get there! and when you are confident at it all, help your fellow educators (because I’m sure there are a lot more people struggling with it than you think!!)
So here's to next year and a fresh start *fingers crossed lol*

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 am

I'll drink to that!!