Task two - Appropriate Carer Response

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
melDollxx

Task two - Appropriate Carer Response

Post by melDollxx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:29 am

Task two - Interact effectively with children..

Jack (2 years) is sitting at the play dough table. HE has flattened a large ball of dough and is pressing plastic animals into the dough so that they stand in a straight line. As he is working he is talking to himself and nodding his head. He appears to be concentrating on the task and is not distracted by others around him. When he fills the dough with the animals, he takes another ball of dough and repeats the process.
Just as he is finishing his second row of animals, three year old Miko sits at the table. ‘You’re making a zoo, aren’t you?’
Miko reaches for Jack’s first row of animals.
Jack screams at him, ‘No, that is mine.’
Jack puts his arms aroundthe dough to prevent Miko taking it.

Suggest an appropriate carer response that supports both Jack and Miko

I was going to write down something about getting Miko some play dough of his own so he can make his own zoo. But does that support both Jack and Miko? Or should I try and get Jack to share?

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Re: Task two-Interact effectively with children..

Post by Miss Kerry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm

I would probably begin by saying to Jack that Miko admires is zoo because it is awesome and that Miko would like to have one to play with too, then I would explain to Miko that Jack has spent time creating his zoo and that he will share it when he's ready, I would then get Miko some playdough and animals and try to direct them toward co-operative play, where Jack is encouraged to show Miko how to create the zoo. When Jack realises Mikko is helping create a larger zoo he will probably begin to share of his own free will.

Just my thoughts.

melDollxx

Re: Task two-Interact effectively with children..

Post by melDollxx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Okay cool thanks heaps for your help. That sounds a lot better lol.