Support the development

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jodi.M

Support the development

Post by Jodi.M » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC301A Support the development of Children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
How can I express this in a developmental manner; Educators would have to be mindful of any self-fulfilling prophecies that the child may have, as the can start to have an impact on cognitive development????

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I really dont understand how I can do this

Description and Message:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Support the development

Post by LindyT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:07 am

Hi Jodi and welcome to the forum,

This is my take on what you are asking.

If a child believes something to be true (I will never be able to.....) then they wont try unless their self-esteem and/or belief in themselves is fostered and we build experiences to show the child that that self fulfilling prophecy is incorrect or warped.

So how would you develop the child's cognitive development with this in mind??

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Jodi. think of a scenario such as a child saying, I will never be able to balance on the beam, or I will never be able to colour inside the lines and think of ways you could encourage them to just have a go, maybe by holding their hand on the beam and slowly releasing this after a few practices, offering encouragement and always praising for them trying. If a child has a self-fulfilling prophecy like these, there are ways we can assist them to look at things in a more positive light and help them overcome them.
Hope this helps
CAthiek

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Also...there is nothing better than the look on a child's face that says...wow, I didn't think I could do that..but I did :)
Cathiek