Scenarios On Responding To Irreversibility

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
seep
Contributor
Contributor

Scenarios On Responding To Irreversibility

Post by seep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Q1-how do you think the characteristic of egocentricity will influence a child's behavior?

The preoperational stage ranges from about ages 2 to 7 (Piaget, 1951, 1952). The child in this stage is pre (before) operations. This means the child cannot use logic or transform, combine or separate ideas. The child's development consists of building experiences about the world through adaptation and working towards the (concrete) stage when it can use logical thought. During the end of this stage children can mentally represent events and objects (the semiotic function), and engage in symbolic play. Children's' thoughts and communications are typically egocentric (i.e. about themselves). Egocentrism refers to the child's inability to see a situation from another person's point of view. According to Piaget, the egocentric child assumes that other people see, hear, and feel exactly the same as the child does.
Elkind (1967) famously reconstructed Piaget's four broad stages of cognitive development to show that each stage is imbued with a form of egocentrism. In the sensory-motor period, for example, egocentrism is evident when the infant stops looking for hidden objects, almost as if objects no longer exist if out of sight. The sensory-motor child is egocentric with respect to objects to the extent that object permanence is confused with object perception. Sensory-motor egocentrism is overcome when children are able to form mental representations of absent objects, an ability that emerges with the symbolic functions of preoperational thought, the next stage of cognitive development. At this stage objects have permanent existence, even when not perceived, because they exist symbolically as cognitive representations.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Q2-how do you think the characteristic of irreversibility (piaget's cognitive development theory) will influence a child's behavior?

Piaget's theory of cognitive development is a comprehensive theory about the nature and development of human intelligence. Piaget believed that one's childhood plays a vital and active role in a person's development Piaget's idea is primarily known as a developmental stage theory. The theory deals with the nature of knowledge itself and how humans gradually come to acquire, construct, and use it.To Piaget, cognitive development was a progressive reorganization of mental processes resulting from biological maturation and environmental experience. He believed that children construct an understanding of the world around them, experience discrepancies between what they already know and what they discover in their environment, then adjust their ideas accordingly. Moreover, Piaget claimed that cognitive development is at the center of the human organism, and language is contingent on knowledge and understanding acquired through cognitive development. Piaget's earlier work received the greatest attention. Many parents have been encouraged to provide a rich, supportive environment for their child's natural propensity to grow and learn. Child-centered classrooms and "open education" are direct applications of Piaget's views. Despite its huge success, Piaget's theory has some limitations that Piaget recognized himself: for example, the theory supports sharp stages rather than continuous development.
--------------------------------------------------------------
b)with consideration to the characteristic of irreversibility, how would you respond to the following situation?

Situation 1-

Tom 4 years starts screaming at Joe who is 2 years because he accidently knocked down the tower he was building when he walked past.

I will explain that accidents do happen when we make something and its OK if this tower is knocked down, I will polietly ask Joe to apologize to Tom because he is really upset about the accident and this will also show that how good boy Joe is.then I will suggest both the boys to make a beautiful tower again togather this will help them be friends with each other and they will get a new tower of blocks according to their choice
--------------------
situation 2-

you are singing 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed, when one jumps off, Amelia who is 5 years old is not able to take one monkey away to work out that now 4 monkeys are left.

I will help Amelira to calm down first and then will explain her that its OK if she was unable to perform it happens sometimes even with elders when they fail to perform even a simple task that's why I am here to help you so come with me and we will practice together how to remove one monkey from the rest, after some turns I will encourage Amelia to do it alone to boost her confidence
--------------------
situation 3-

Therese is running through the play room, chasing Sophie, the educator yells out to them Sophie and Therese, " Don't run in the room please" the girl slow down, look at the educator but continue to run

next time when they will cross by me I will make them stop polietly and explain to them that running fast may hurt them badly and they may get injured which is so painful, " do you want to feel pain?" they will certainly answer no so I will advise them to slow down to enjoy the play fully as hurting means no play and they have to sit aside in that case that will spoil their play.
----------------------
Q3-How would you respond to a parent that suggested you smack their child on the hand when they don't do as they are asked?

i will expalin the parent that smacking is a wrong way to stop the child from doing anything as smacking only tells children it is okay to hit other people. Right then and there, it teaches kids that physical violence is the way to solve their problems. "It might have short-term gains for parents, but it doesn't actually teach them anything and that's the whole point. "Ultimately, if you're smacking a child, you're doing it for the child to develop a fear, and trying to get anything out of your child through fear is never going to work." "Even if you don't smack, but shout and scream, it's certainly not going to be effective, either. bu on the other hand here are some basics that can help when it comes to disciplining children. These include:
1-Be consistent and follow through with consequences.
2-Distract children with interesting and fun activities – especially while you're shopping or at other times kids can play up.
3-Point out when your child is doing the right thing, not just the wrong.
4-Ignore children when they are misbehaving to get a reaction.
5-Pick your battles; sometimes you just have to let things go.
6-When you feel out of control, put your child somewhere safe and take time out.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Q4-Q14-list some ways educators can record observations of children in a service?

1-Anecdotal Record –
2- Jottings –
3- Running Records
4- Time Samples
5- Socio-grams
6- Event Samples
--------------------------------------------------------
Q5-why is a consistent approach from all educators important, when implementing a personalized support plan?

child care that offer a personalized approach to learning will be better able to connect with students, find ways to engage them, keep their attention, and help them to capitalize on their strengths as learners (Jobs for the Future, 2012). Personalized learning strategies encourage cooperative interaction among children, staff, and parents to support children in identifying strategies for taking active roles in tailoring their learning processes to better meet their unique needs and interests. Although it is likely that there are an infinite number of formal and informal strategies that could be used to encourage personalization in learning, this guide focuses specifically on personalized children learning plans. Personalized children learning plans are formal plans and processes that establish opportunities for children to explore their interests and build relationships with educators in an effort to promote children engagement and success.
Personalized learning approaches focus on strengthening the student learning process by encouraging students to actively participate in fostering a strong learning environment, strengthening relationships with adult stakeholders, becoming aware of their individual learning needs, and identifying and applying learning strategies that work best for them (Personalized Learning Foundation, 2012).
Personalization is an important approach to learning, because not every student learns in exactly the same way (The Education Alliance at Brown University, 2003). A single, one-sizefits-all approach — i.e., seven-period days with teachers lecturing in the front of the classroom mixed with some student assignments — is not effective for every student. Evidence suggests that students who do not respond to the typical, uniform approach tend to tune out, perform poorer academically, drop out more, and engage in greater incidences of violence and other inappropriate activities (Silver, 2004).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please have a look on my responses and give your suggestion am I on the right track? thanks

Lorina

Re: Scenarios On Responding To Irreversibility

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:28 pm

I think you are on the right track with your responses...:thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Scenarios On Responding To Irreversibility

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:33 pm

You just may want to check your response to Irreversibility because I'm getting the following information:

Irreversible thinking (lack of conservation)
Reversible thinking requires a child to understand that something can be returned to its original state and that quantity does not change even when a display is transformed.
Piaget used a number of different conservation tasks to demonstrate that infants had irreversible thinking during the preoperational stage.

Piaget (1952)
A child was presented with 2 rows of counters.
Piaget spread out the counters of one row then asked the child if each row had the same number of counters.
Children at the pre-operational stage claimed there were more in the spread out row,indicating that they not understand conservation.

Ref: Piaget - Cognitive Development

:geek:,
Lorina