Scenarios On Promoting A Child's Sense Of Agency and Belonging

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
punk6288

Scenarios On Promoting A Child's Sense Of Agency and Belonging

Post by punk6288 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:36 am

6. Write comments that you could make in the following situations to children. Think about comments that would help promote the child’s sense of agency and belonging while giving the child specific feedback about themselves and their actions. Make sure your comments are developmentally appropriate.

a) Michael aged 3 snatches a toy from another child that he wants to use. What comments could you make to help Michael choose an appropriate behaviour?

Michael please don’t snatch it is rude to snatch ask the other kids if u can have the toy or wait until they have finished playing it the toy in the mean time find something else to play with,

b) Brayden aged 2 bursts into tears when a toy he likes to use is broken. What could you say to acknowledge and support Brayden during this time of distress?

I would explain to him that some time stuff like this happens and I would offer a solition eg another toy for him to play with I would try to help him find another to toy to play with

c) Ava aged 4 is having difficulty connecting a construction toy together. She is becoming upset and showing signs of frustration. You see Ava throw the pieces she is using away from where she is sitting. What comments could you make to encourage Ava to continue with her play and to see any mistake made as a way to learn?

I would go and ask if she was ok and explain to her that she cant throw the toy and to try taking deep breath or to ask a supervisor to come and help her with the construction.

d) Thomas aged 3 has bitten another child who took the doll he was playing with. What comments could you make to help Thomas learn to express and manage his feelings appropriately?

I would explain to Thomas that he can’t bit anyone and that he could ask nicely for the toy back or go and see the room leaders and ask them to help.

e) Olivia aged 4 successfully completes a 16 piece puzzle with no assistance. What could you say to support Olivia’s efforts?

Good job Olivia and I would then ask if she wanted another puzzle to do. I would praze her and make her feel really happy with her self

f) Londen aged 3 is throwing food on the floor at lunch. What comments could you make to positively guide Londen’s behaviour, and that will help him to accept responsibility for his actions?

I would ask Londen if he could please stop doing that and i would ask if he has had enofe and take his bowl away.

please help im have been stuck on these questions for weeks now needing more ideas.

Lorina

Re: Scenarios On Promoting A Child's Sense Of Agency and Belonging

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Good attempt! Here is what else you could say:

a) Michael I can see that you really want to play with this toy but now it's "Toms" turn. Let's tell Tom that you will wait for him util his finished playing and that you will like a turn next.

b) Braydon, it's broken and it may hurt you if you use it. I will try and get it fixed because I know ho much you like to play with it. Let's go choose another toy you can play with in the meantime.

c) Ava I can see your trying really hard to build it together. I would like to help you if you need me too. Let's see how we can put these together...

d) Thomas biting really hurts. I understand you may feel angry for "Sara" taking the doll from you but you don't hurt anyone. You need to say "stop" or come and ask a teacher for help.

e) Olivia you should feel really proud for completing that puzzle. I can see you really took your time to complete it! Awesome!

f) Londen, if you have finished eating you an put your leftover food in the scrap bowl. I would like you to get the food you threw on the floor and put it in the bin. Please wash your hands afterwards.

Hope these help,

:geek:,
Lorina