Scenarios For Effective or Ineffective Teaching Strategies

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
young
Participator
Participator

Scenarios For Effective or Ineffective Teaching Strategies

Post by young » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Our Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCECE010 SUPPORT BEHAVIOUR OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE READINGS
Your Assignment Type:
Your knowledge: Beginner

I am stuck on those questions please guide me

question and answer:

Q; Nadrya (16 months) gets up from the table with a piece of apple in his hand. He begins to wander over to his Educator who is standing at the bench eating a banana. She sees him coming towards her with the apple in his hand and says, “Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.”

my answer:Nadrya just 16 months. It is not helpful to just tell her what don't walk around while you are still eating. It is not an age appropriate expectation.

feedback: Great response, however you also need to consider why else this would be ineffective. What is the educator doing and what is she asking of the child. apply your knowledge why strategy used by educator in scenario is not effective.

my revised answer:
Nadrya just 16 months. It is not helpful to just tell her what don't walk around while you are still eating. It is not an age appropriate expectation.
The educator not position at the Nadrya’s level to talk to them. Getting down to the Nadrya’s level ensures that you have the his full attention and that he is listening to you.
“Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.” Talk to children about limits in a positive way which focuses on what to do, rather than what not to do. But the educator chose a negative way. Use ‘I statements’ e.g. ‘I would like you to…’; ‘I feel...’ ‘I’ statements are less threatening for the child.

Q2:Read the following scenarios and use the table to document your responses to the following questions:
The Educator’s instructions in the scenarios could cause frustration and inappropriate behaviour, suggest a reason why? e.g. Is the Educator providing choices? Are the questions open ended?
Provide an alternative Educator response i.e. how could the instruction be given differently to promote positive behaviour?

Educator Scenario “How about you give Harry (4 years 6 months) a turn with the bike now? We have to share.”

my answer: It’s ok, let’s go and find you another bike. You can have a turn with that bike after Harry has his turn.
feedback:How could you phrase your response so it is fair for both children, think about time & turns. what if there is no other bike? Think about setting up a time limit to encourage sharing and turn taking.
my revised answer: It’s ok, I know you both wanted that. Everyone can ride for 5 minutes.

Q3:Educators need to be mindful not to ‘reward’ inappropriate behavior. Read the following scenarios and use the table below to document your responses to the following questions: Is the Educator strategy effective or ineffective, is it rewarding the child’s inappropriate child’s behavior? Give a reason for your answer.

Maya (3 years) had become very finicky about her food. Whenever she refused to eat what was offered to her she was immediately given a Vegemite sandwich.

my answer:Allow Maya enough time to process the information. Give warnings of changes and, when offering choices, allows the children time to think about the options and decide what action to take.
feedback: Why do you think educator’s strategy is ineffective. Do you think if a child refuses to eat, educator should straight away give food of their choice or try something else.
my revised answer:

anyone can help me ?thanks.

Lorina

Re: Effective or Ineffective?

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:51 pm

young wrote:QR_BBPOST Nadrya (16 months) gets up from the table with a piece of apple in his hand. He begins to wander over to his Educator who is standing at the bench eating a banana. She sees him coming towards her with the apple in his hand and says, “Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.”

Why is the child walking towards the educator? She is assuming that the child is eating and walking... What if the child wanted to tell the educator something?

young wrote:QR_BBPOST It’s ok, let’s go and find you another bike. You can have a turn with that bike after Harry has his turn.
feedback:How could you phrase your response so it is fair for both children, think about time & turns. what if there is no other bike? Think about setting up a time limit to encourage sharing and turn taking.

Yes, you're response is good! Waiting 5 minutes... Maybe you could have an egg timer and when it rings they swap...

young wrote:QR_BBPOST Maya (3 years) had become very finicky about her food. Whenever she refused to eat what was offered to her she was immediately given a Vegemite sandwich.

Even if Maya (that's my daughter's name by the way! LOL! :giggle:), refuses to eat something she may like because she wants the sandwich instead she would automatically refuse it because she gets an alternative. The educator should get her to try the food by having at least 4 bites of it and encouraged to eat her food. Instead of giving her a vegemite sandwich she can be given the "plain" version of the food" or a healthier alternative. So, at least she is getting her nutrition for the day.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

young
Participator
Participator

Re: Effective or Ineffective?

Post by young » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Lorina wrote:
young wrote:QR_BBPOST Nadrya (16 months) gets up from the table with a piece of apple in his hand. He begins to wander over to his Educator who is standing at the bench eating a banana. She sees him coming towards her with the apple in his hand and says, “Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.”

Why is the child walking towards the educator? She is assuming that the child is eating and walking... What if the child wanted to tell the educator something?

young wrote:QR_BBPOST It’s ok, let’s go and find you another bike. You can have a turn with that bike after Harry has his turn.

Yes, you're response is good! Waiting 5 minutes... Maybe you could have an egg timer and when it rings they swap...

young wrote:QR_BBPOST Maya (3 years) had become very finicky about her food. Whenever she refused to eat what was offered to her she was immediately given a Vegemite sandwich.

Even if Maya (that's my daughter's name by the way! LOL! :giggle:), refuses to eat something she may like because she wants the sandwich instead she would automatically refuse it because she gets an alternative. The educator should get her to try the food by having at least 4 bites of it and encouraged to eat her food. Instead of giving her a vegemite sandwich she can be given the "plain" version of the food" or a healthier alternative. So, at least she is getting her nutrition for the day.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Thank you for your help. What a coincidence. But I think your daughter Maya will not picky eater. My revised those answer, Could you give me any guidance?
Q; Nadrya (16 months) gets up from the table with a piece of apple in his hand. He begins to wander over to his Educator who is standing at the bench eating a banana. She sees him coming towards her with the apple in his hand and says, “Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.”
my revised answer:
Nadrya just 16 months. It is not helpful to just tell her what don't walk around while you are still eating. It is not an age appropriate expectation. He begins to wander over to his Educator. Maybe Nadrya wanted to tell the educator something
“Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.” It is not helpful to just tell children what not to do. Talk to children about limits in a positive way which focuses on what to do, rather than what not to do. But the educator chose a negative way.
The educator does not position at the Nadrya’s level to talk to them. Getting down to the Nadrya’s level ensures that you have his full attention and that he is listening to you.
Educator is standing at the bench eating a banana. she didn't to role model behaviours, she didn't to sit at table but require Nadrya sit at the table.

Q2:Read the following scenarios and use the table to document your responses to the following questions:
The Educator’s instructions in the scenarios could cause frustration and inappropriate behaviour, suggest a reason why? e.g. Is the Educator providing choices? Are the questions open ended?
Provide an alternative Educator response i.e. how could the instruction be given differently to promote positive behaviour?

my revised answer:
It’s ok, I know you both want that. It's fun to ride a bike. we will have to take turns and wait. we can take egg timer, when it rings that you take turns. you can have a turn with that bike after Harry has his turn. When he rides a bike, I think it is interesting to catch up with him in the back.

Q3:Educators need to be mindful not to ‘reward’ inappropriate behavior. Read the following scenarios and use the table below to document your responses to the following questions: Is the Educator strategy effective or ineffective, is it rewarding the child’s inappropriate child’s behavior? Give a reason for your answer.

Maya (3 years) had become very finicky about her food. Whenever she refused to eat what was offered to her she was immediately given a Vegemite sandwich.

my revised answer:
Even if Maya, refuses to eat something she may like because she wants the sandwich instead she would automatically refuse it because she gets an alternative. The educator should get her to try the food by having at least 4 bites of it and encouraged to eat her food. Instead of giving her a vegemite sandwich she can be given the "plain" version of the food" or a healthier alternative. So, at least she is getting her nutrition for the day.
When Maya refuses to eat something, educator should not straight away give food of her choice, educator should try something else. The educator should get her to try the food by having at least 4 bites of it and encouraged to eat her food. Instead of giving her a vegemite sandwich she can be given the "plain" version of the food" or a healthier alternative. So, at least she is getting her nutrition for the day.
Practice delaying gratification. Don’t be so quick to give Maya what she wants and to meet her needs immediately. Learning to wait will serve him well as she grows up.
Educator can give Maya some choice. e.g. “Maya, would you like to sit here next to Nikita or there next to Harry?” “Maya, should you drink your soup first, or eat your rice first?”

Thank you very much again.

Lorina

Re: Scenarios For Effective or Ineffective Teaching Strategies

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes, you're on the right track with your response!

Lorina

young
Participator
Participator

Post by young » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Lorina wrote:Yes, you're on the right track with your response!

Lorina

Lorina, thank you very much. You give me a lot of help.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

You're most welcome!

Lorina

young
Participator
Participator

Post by young » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Lorina wrote:You're most welcome!

Lorina

Hi, Lorina. I still need help.
Nadrya (16 months) gets up from the table with a piece of apple in his hand. He begins to wander over to his Educator who is standing at the bench eating a banana. She sees him coming towards her with the apple in his hand and says, “Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.
My revised answer:
Nadrya just 16 months. It is not helpful to just tell her what don't walk around while you are still eating. It is not an age appropriate expectation. He begins to wander over to his Educator. Maybe Nadrya wanted to tell the educator something
“Don't walk around while you are still eating. Go back and sit at the table.” It is not helpful to just tell children what not to do. Talk to children about limits in a positive way which focuses on what to do, rather than what not to do. But the educator chose a negative way.
The educator does not position at the Nadrya’s level to talk to them. Getting down to the Nadrya’s level ensures that you have his full attention and that he is listening to you.
Educator is standing at the bench eating a banana. she didn't to role model behaviours, she didn't to sit at table but require Nadrya sit at the table.
Still not correct reason. Think what educator is doing?

Could you give some guidances? Thanks.

The educator can't eat food when take care children?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm

The educator doesn't help the child walk back to the table or take the apple from the child. The educator doesn't ask the child if they need help or if they need anything...

Lorina

young
Participator
Participator

Post by young » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Lorina wrote:The educator doesn't help the child walk back to the table or take the apple from the child. The educator doesn't ask the child if they need help or if they need anything...

Lorina

Lorina, thank you very much.