Scenario: Yuck I Don't Like Bugs

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Tam86
Participator
Participator

Scenario: Yuck I Don't Like Bugs

Post by Tam86 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Could I get some help with this or atleast be put in the right direction.
Thankyou

You are sitting on the lounge reading a story to two 4 - year - olds, Jock and Max. The story is about an Aboriginal
boy and his dog called "Rabbit". The boy tells the story of how the dog got his unusual name. The illustrations
show the boy living in a large country town where traditional practices are embraced. At the conclusion of the
story the following conversation takes place:

Jock (pointing to one of the pictures): "Aboriginals have spears and sometimes they eat bugs".

Max: "Yuck, I don't like to eat bugs".

Educator: "It's called bush tucker and it can be delicious!"

a) Suggest how the educator can further promote anti-bias and respect for diversity?

I wrote: Involve families in sharing their traditions. In fact, instead of deciding yourself which tradition you would like to expose children to, ask families what they would like to share.
Try to expose children to role models from their own culture as well as to those from other cultures. Seeing adults developing positive relationships with people who are different offers an important model and teaches children to value such relationships.
Make a point of where all the children in the group come from by hanging a map and tagging locations with child's name and country of orgin.
Each week discuss or even invite parents to share words, phases from their language, songs and food.

Am I on the right track?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Yuck I Don't Like Bugs

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Yes, you're on the right track... Since this scenario is based around food you could probably also discuss the different types of foods people eat from different countries... In regards to the story being read, you can extend it further by looking into bush tucker and finding out all the foods the ATSI people may eat as bush tucker. If possible you could even get some for the children to try and have an incursion where an ATSI elder may come talk about bush tucker and get the kids to try some etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina