Scenario: Raj and Radhika

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
bff_fangaz

Scenario: Raj and Radhika

Post by bff_fangaz » Sun May 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi there I was wondering whether anyone could help me or point me in the right direction as to where I might find some information to answer this question:

Case Scenario: Raj is a 4 year old who has been attending your Service for the past 3 months. You notice he does not play with the other children and prefers to sit by himself most of the day. One day, when Radhika, his mother comes to pick him up, you ask her whether Raj plays at home, to which she replies “What do you mean play? There are toys for him but he generally likes to sit quietly, sometimes he reads a book, sometimes he likes to draw” she then continues to say “He is very lucky, when I was his age, I was already looking after 2 younger siblings, helping my mum with cooking and cleaning the house! I didn’t have time to play”

Q1. What is Radhika’s cultural view regarding play?
Q2. How would you explain the importance of play to her in a way that she will understand?
Q3. How could you encourage Radhika to contribute to building cultural awareness amongst Raj’s peers?
Q4. Reflect on your own practices and list 3 ways you can build cultural awareness amongst children.

Any and all help so appreaciated.
Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Raj and Radhika

Post by Lorina » Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Bff_Fangaz,

It’s fairly common that parents misunderstand the importance of play and how it impacts their child’s life. Yes, those days children were a lot more “mature” and given a whole lot of “responsibilities” but they are only kids aren’t they. I say let them enjoy being kids (although you probably can’t say this to a parent).

For the first question it’s fairly obvious that Radhika, would prefer her child to do other things rather than play. But this isn’t her fault. She is only saying what she knows from her previous experience and what her expectations of her child are.

When trying to explain the importance of play I suggest you gather some information or print out an article. When explaining it to Radhika, just briefly summarize the article and give her examples of children’s learning through play.

To build cultural awareness amongst peers you can Radhika to come and teach the children a recipe, a song or a dance from their background.

Three ways to build cultural awareness firstly have a variety of pretend food available in home corner (sushi, pizza, pasta etc.), add different coloured multicultural dolls to dress ups, add different countries costumes in dress ups, sing multicultural songs, learn to count in different languages, learn to say hello in different languages, add photos of people, food, places from around the world. Oh, that’s more than 3, hopefully you get the idea.

Have a great night :mrgreen: !

:geek:,
L.A