Scenario: Lisa - Dealing With Challenging Behaviour

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Scenario: Lisa - Dealing With Challenging Behaviour

Post by momotayeasmin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Well. It’s not me!
It is mid October and the 4 – 5 year old group at Blue Bay Childcare Centre are all moving on to ‘big school’ next year. Recently, the educators have struggled with a rise in the amount of unacceptable and very challenging behaviours. The issue is raised at a staff meeting and several suggestions are made about how the children’s behaviour could be managed and what should be the consequences for unacceptable behaviour. Then, it is suggested that the children be consulted and involved in the process. Lisa, the Room Leader, is excited by this idea and decides to implement it straight away!
The next day, Lisa introduces a discussion with the children at Group Time. She begins by saying “You know, lately there has been lots of behaviour that is against our rules. We have seen children hurting each other and making other children get upset.” Several of the children call out things like “Yeah. Well it’s not me!” or “Max is the one who does it all!”
Lisa says “Well, Sophie (the other educator in the room) and I have decided that we are going to ask for your help to fix the problem. Do you think you can do that?” The children agree so Lisa moves on. “Good. The first thing we need to decide is what behaviour is not allowed here. You tell me what you think and I’ll write it on this big piece of paper I have here. Then we’ll have a list of ‘rules’, ok?”

QUESTION 10 (A)

Identify the quality practices being used by Lisa and the staff at this centre?
Explain: Help to children to understand what behaviours are acceptable and what behaviours are not acceptable by giving clear and appropriate explanations that take into account the child’s age and understandings.
Give choices and empower child appropriately: Allow and support children to make some decisions so that they can feel empowered.

QUESTION 10 (B)

What do you think Lisa would do next in this discussion?
Lisa wants to make a list of rules after discussion with child, And then she will make a routine for child to follow the rules.
QUESTION 10 (C)

Identify the benefits from this type of approach to behaviour management.
They can find their mistake and can improve by himself.
Example: If two children are fighting with each other and if they know its mistake, then they apologise each other.

Is it correct?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Lisa - Dealing With Challenging Behaviour

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Maybe you can refer to the NQS for this question:

Guide to the NQS
What do you think Lisa would do next in this discussion?

Discuss with children about the what behaviour is not acceptable, write these down, read them to the children, with the children think of rules that can be used to focus on acceptable behaviour... Write rules for the children, implement them...

Identify the benefits from this type of approach to behaviour management.

Empower children to make choices between wrong and right
This dicsussion helps children to understand what behaviour is unacceptable
All children are involved and all make the rules together so noone is blamed

:geek:,
Lorina

momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Scenario: Lisa - Dealing With Challenging Behaviour

Post by momotayeasmin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi lorina

Thanks for help
Quality Area 5: Relationships with children
Element 5.1.2 Every child is able to engage with educators in meaningful, open interactions that support the acquisition of skills for life and learning

is it correct now?