Scenario - John Smith: Administering First Aid

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
SNKhan

Scenario - John Smith: Administering First Aid

Post by SNKhan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm

hi

if someone can assist me in following questions

a) Yahma has cleaned the wound and applied a pressure bandage. it is apparent that john will need stitches in his calf. what action should now b taken?
My Answer: Yahma should contact john's parents and inform them about the accident and advice them to take john to doctor immediately or ask permission to take him to the doctor by herself

b) while Yahma was attending to john another educator finds the bike has a damaged pedal. it is extremely sharp. there is also blood on the path. list the follow up action that should occur in relation to this accident?
I) Wear gloves
II) Cover the area with an absorbent agent (e.g. kitty litter or sand) and allow the blood to soak in
III) Use a disposable scraper and pan to scoop up the absorbent material and any unabsorbed blood
or body fluids
IV) Place the absorbent agent, the scraper and the pan into a plastic bag or alternative; seal the bag
and put in the rubbish bin
V) Remove gloves and put them in the rubbish bin
VI) Mop the area with warm water and detergent; wash the mop after use
VII)Wipe the area with diluted bleach and allow to dry
VIII) Wash your hands with soap and water

Scenario
John Smith who is 4 years of age is riding a bike on the bike track. The educator Yahma had just spoken to john about his behaviour -going too fast and try to crash into the other children also riding bikes. Yahma reminded john of the safe bike riding rules.
Ten minutes later John again attempts to crash into the back of another bike rider. John's bike overturns and John screams. Yahma look up from talking to another child. As the nearest staff member. Yahma reaches him first and finds John has a deep cut on his calf and it is bleeding profusely. John has touched the wound. He has blood on his hands and the blood is seeping into his sock. He will not walk and he is too big to carry. Yahma does have disposable gloves with her. She has a First Aid Certificate and is authorised to administer first aid

i am just stuck it to, cannot get any idea. can some body pop up any further.

thnks

SNK

Lorina

Re: Scenario - John Smith: Administering First Aid

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 am

Yes, you're on the right track!

You can also check the following topic with the same question:

Administering First Aid To John

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

SNKhan

Post by SNKhan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:11 am

thanks lorina for your reply

i really found useful the topic you suggested me but that might be related to some other question of the same scenario. i just need help for one below point
QUESTION:
b) while Yahma was attending to john another educator finds the bike has a damaged pedal. it is extremely sharp. there is also blood on the path. list the follow up action that should occur in relation to this accident?

for this question my suggested answer might cover the action required for the blood on the path portion but i couldn't get any idea about the sharp damaged pedal of bike can you suggest any thing for that.

well thanks again for being always helpful and reply promptly

:-)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:07 am

the sharp damaged pedal of bike

Remove the bike from the area away from the children. Get something (foam). sponge to cover the sharp pedal. Add a note to the bike to let other educators know that it needs to be repaired. If possible remove the pedal...

:geek:,
Lorina