Respond to Childs Activity Suggestions

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ami

Respond to Childs Activity Suggestions

Post by ami » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm

doing my assignment interact effectively with children and it was sent back to me saying it was unfinished
Question is: If a child offers a suggestion regarding an activity or play experience, how might you respond?
My ansewer was Jesse suggested that we put the books up higher so the babies won't get them and tear them. i said Babies need books also to learn and discover different things so maybe we could put the board books and thicker paged books on the lower shelf so the babies can reach them and the books forthe bigger kids on the higher shelf.
apparently this is wrong just wondering if anyone could help me with this :sweating:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: interact effectively with children

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 pm

I think you should post this in the cert III or Diploma area
anyway just to put u on the right track the question says
If a child offers a suggestion regarding an activity or play experience, how might you respond?

What you have answered is neither a suggestion regarding either of these things.

Imagine u say "we are going to do outside play later" and a child said "I like boats can we make a boat outside"
What would u say? This is a child making a suggestion about an experience

You may come across this numerous times a day.
I have children suggesting lots of things they enjoy doing and as a GL i try and incorporate as much as i can

Hope u understand where u went wrong on this question

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Re: interact effectively with children

Post by Miss Kerry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

I think fefe76 is absolutely correct.

Sometimes I child will not make the whole suggestion but will lead into it.

Using fefe's example "can we make a boat outside", a comon reply would be "sure what do you think we could make the boat from?" and may even include research depending on what type of boat he wants to make (out of sand, constuction materials, blocks or does he want to make one that floats?).
Basically you would be asking lots of open ended questions to generate a picture of the "what and how".