Observation methods

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
curly

Observation methods

Post by curly » Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here and studying my cert III. My assignment this week is 'Develop an understanding of children's interests and developmental needs.' I have to list 6 different types of observation methods and what they may be used for. In class we only discussed; Anecdotal, Time Sample, Learning Stories and Running Records. :? I would appreciate any help please, thanks 8-)

Lorina

Re: Observation methods

Post by Lorina » Mon May 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi Curly,

Welcome to our Forum, great to have you onboard :D !

After some thinking I came up with some more different types of observation methods you can use:

Diary – Diary entries recorded from memory at a later time. It is useful to construct a child profile. It’s a quick method of observation useful in adding to an overall picture of the child, recording changes and may be shared with parents.

Checklist – Useful when observing a particular skills or a certain aspect of a child’s behavior. Child is usually “checked off” against a list of skills or behaviors of a particular age group.

Sociograms –A map or diagram of friendships and interactions within a group of children. It’s used to provide a clear identification of whom the child’s prefers to play with or if the child needs assistance in their social skills.

Time Samples - Provides a snapshot of a child’s day. It’s used to record the occurrence of a child’s behavior at particular times of the day. Time samples can be taken every half an hour over a day or for shorter intervals of five to ten minutes.

Event Sample – Gives an indication of the reasons why a particular behavior occurred. Help to assess what sparks a certain reaction in a child and identify the possible causes or consequences of concerning behavior.

Gosh I didn’t realize there were so many different wyas of observing children !

Hope this helps!

Cheers :geek:
L.A

curly

Re: Observation methods

Post by curly » Tue May 10, 2011 10:33 am

Thank you so much :) And thanks for the nice welcome :)