Incident Involving Jake With ADHD

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tianamay01

Incident Involving Jake With ADHD

Post by tianamay01 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm

the scenario
The carer suspects that jake(4.7 years) has ADHD. His behaviour is often erratic and he can be verbally and physically aggressive when his needs are not immediately met. The carer has been trying for several months to have jake assessed but his parents refuse to believe there is a problem and describe the carers concerns as an over-reaction. In their opinion jake is simply a typical boy. Today jake is having a particulary bad day. He has already caused havoc by tipping the paints onto the floor and then walkingpaint onto the carpet. He was involved in several spats with the children when playing outside. Just before luncj jake was sent to th bathroom with kent and chen. Jake started splashing water on chen and when chen retaliated by splashing water on jakes t-shirt jake hit chen and pushed him over. Chens face hit the tiled floor and his lip was split. The carer, helen rushed to attend to chen. Ken told helen that jake had pushed chen. Helen turned to jake, grabbed his arm and proppelled him towards the door. Go out and wait for mr Jake! Jake screamed abuse at helen and kicked her legs. By this time another carer arik, was on the scene. Arik picked jake up from behind and carried him outside where he released Jake. "jake you need to calm down" Jake ran to the back of the playground swearing abuse at arik.
Later in the day helen said to arik "i've had enough of jake. i want him out of here, i dont care what his parents say!"

Questions what are the rights of
A. jakes parents
Jakes parents have the right to privacy and confidentiality, confidential information about Jake should only be shared with carers and Jakes parents. They also have the right for their child to be enrolled at the childcare. The carers can recommend that Jake be assessed for ADHD, but the parents have the right to refuse, they have the right to make decisions about their child.

B. Jake
Jake has the right to receive care in a safe and secure environment

C.Chen and the other children

Chen and the other children have the right to quality childcare that they feel safe and secure in.

D. Helen and Arik

Helen and Arik have a duty of care for all the children involved. If the director feels it would benefit the children she may move the carer to a different room for a while.

Suggest a possible course of action in relation to jake

An incident report would be written up outlining Jakes behaviour and the incident. Jake would need to go on a behaviour management plan; this would be worked out with a consultation with his parents, so that everyone could agree on what is expected of Jake. The behaviour plan would be evaluated and reviewed at a set time to see if there has been any improvement.

I have answered all the questions, but am not sure if i am on the right track, i am really unsure about the carers and the other childrens rights within this situation, any help would be appreciated, thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

tianamay01

Re: Incident Involving Jake With ADHD

Post by tianamay01 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:58 pm

would really love any advice, i have posted my answers, but just want to know if you think i am on the right track, thanks

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Tour answer sounds really good.
I am sure the others might have more input than me.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey Hollie,

Yes, your answers are well thought out but maybe you could add a couple of more points to "Suggest a possible course of action in relation to jake". An incident report and a behavior management plan is a good start. You could also include observations of Jake which will provide insight to his parents and others of the signs his showing of ADHD. If you as a carer suspects a child to have an additional need (such as ADHD) you will need to provide evidence (through observations). The next step will probably be that the director, room leader and parents have a meeting to discuss what you have witnessed and come up with a plan on how to support Jake. There are alot of support programs available to childcare centres that work with the child, carer and parents on how to deal with situations as they arise. So, not only do you need to setup a behavior management plan but you need to find out if Jake has ADHD through observations and seeking outside support and then develop a plan on how you are going to manage it.

The rest of your responses sound fine... :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dollysingh003

Re: work within a legal and ethical framework

Post by dollysingh003 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi guys ..plz help me with question.
A woman arrives to collect a child.The child recognises the woman,but you know that this woman is not on the list to collect the child.What is legal requirement in this stituation?What document will help u in ur discussion with the woman?Who else should you involve in this stituation?
Thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Doll - please post your question as a seperate topic please
Also this question and scenario has been previously answered so please check or do a search.

dollysingh003

Post by dollysingh003 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi fefe...sorry am a new user....thanks gonna check for answer.

Natalia

Post by Natalia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I need help i dont know if my answer is right..
CHCCS 400A----------- Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
Topic 4 Recognise and respond when clients rights and interests are not being protected.

Acitivity 8 Heather is a single mother of 2 living in caravan park .Her 2 children under 5 yrs of age have been referred by docs to your services to help her manage . Heather is on methadone support for her herroin addiction, and spend much of her income on cigarettes and take away food.The children often turn up dirty and tried, and seem '' just not there'' in the way they relate to other children and adults most of the time..

what risk factor s are there is this situation? what would be your concerns? what would you do?

I think the docs knows that the mother who had a drug addiction should be separated to her children cos its a risk to her children ,she can encourage them to used it if she is in the drugs when they become older too and the children are exposed to this drug which is not good for the children health and mental growth they can have a problem later on, and her children is neglecting her with food and care ..Heather should be in the rehababilitation program and the children need to find a foster parent to look after the kids health and care and there education..