HLTOHS300A Identify, assess and classify hazards

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

HLTOHS300A Identify, assess and classify hazards

Post by Steffelz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey guys, Ive answered a question as best I can but I don't know if Im answering it correctly. Could someone please take a look at my question and answer and tell me if its the right thing?

QUESTIONUsing a hazard checklist, identify five hazards in your work environment. Assess the risk associated with each hazard and classify them according to the level of risk. Prioritise how or when they should be dealt with using the classification of High, Medium or Low.

ANSWER:
HAZARD- Gap in Fencing where children could escape.
ASSESSMENT- The children are always hanging around the fence, and watching the cars etc. They are very likely to try and play in the gap (broken part) or escape/leave the premises. The could get stuck or hurt themselves or leave the centre where they are at high risk of being hit by traffic.
RISK - High
Time frame - This needs to be dealt with immediately, we need to put temporary precautions to keep children away until the Handyman/tradie comes to fix it

HAZARD - Broken wheel on "Ride On" toy bike
ASSESSMENT - The wheel has fallen off the back right side of the bike, children love these toys and will try and play with it even though it is broken, the children will be at risk of falling over and hurting themselves.
RISK: Medium
Time Frame - This needs to be removed from the environment asap and inspected to see if it can be fixed.

HAZARD - First aid kit on wall is jammed and cannot open
ASSESSMENT - I am unable to attend to children's injuries
Time Frame - Temporary solution would be to use the resources from another classroom but someone needs to be called in to fix it asap.
RISK - Medium-High

HAZARD - Sunscreen Finished and there is none in the resource cupboard
ASSESSMENT - Children (especially ones in this class with fair skin) are at risk of server sunburn
Time Frame - Temporarily we could use suncream from another classroom but suncream needs t be added to the Centers shopping list and purchased before any other rooms run out.
RISK - Low-Medium

HAZARD - Outdoor equipment shed latch is broken and can't be closed or locked, and it keeps banging
ASSESSMENT - The banging of the metal doors is a noise hazard which will affect the children's rest time. The shed has always been highly popular with the children (as it contains their play equipment) and they are always trying to get in. Now that it doesn't close or lock, it will be even more enticing to them. They could get badly hurt by the equipment inside the shed, or by getting their limbs caught in the door or the hinges.
RISK - High
Time frame - This needs to be sorted out urgently and a handy man must be called ASAP. In the meantime we need to put up a temporary solution to keep it closed (such as tying the doors closed with rope) until the handyman gets to fix it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: HLTOHS300A Identify, assess and classify hazards

Post by cathiek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 pm

HI Steffelz. I think your answers sounds fine. Perhaps to the last one if you are going to tie the shed door closed with rope perhaps put ensure out of childrens reach - or no loops or knots that chn could be caught up in.
Cheers
CAthie

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLTOHS300A Identify, assess and classify hazards

Post by Steffelz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 pm

thanks heaps Cathie