HLTOHS300A - Case Scenario: Nina

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
neetlee44

HLTOHS300A - Case Scenario: Nina

Post by neetlee44 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello, I'm really stuck on these few questions. any help would be very appreciative as my lectureer is on leave until end of October. Thankyou
Case study
Nina is putting away some equipment when a shelf in the storeroom slips. Nina can see that the shelf isn't safe so she takes it down and arranges the equipment to ensure that it is safe for the time being.

1. Where would you find an organisation's procedures for raising OHS issues?

2. If this occurred in a service, who would you report it to? All other staff members and the director. Also record it into an OHS communication book.
3. What would you expect this person to do?
Staff Members – They would now know that there was a problem with the shelf and take more care, if they needed to entre the storeroom.
Director – Work on getting it fixed

Explain how you would contribute to OHS processes by answering the following questions.
1. How would you participate in OHS consultation; for example at meetings? Raise any safety concerns, Ask questions, Point out safety recommendations,
2. Describe how you have or could provide assistance to work group members to contribute to workplace safety.

3. Identify one way you could improve your level of commitment, consultation and/or cooperation in regard to OHS processes.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

neetlee44

Re: HLTOHS300A Contribute to OHS processes

Post by neetlee44 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Really not sure if I'm on the right track but had a go anyway. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. Where would you find an organisation's procedures for raising OHS issues? OHS Legislation
1. Describe how you have or could provide assistance to work group members to contribute to workplace safety. Following instructions involving the use of all equipment and substances that are in the centre. Being informed about all OHS obligations and going to all training that becomes available to staff members. Ensure that all staff and visitors, health and safety are something you consider very important. Ensure to tell the coordinator all workplace hazard that you have come across
2. Identify one way you could improve your level of commitment, consultation and/or cooperation in regard to OHS processes. Manual Handling – Instead of thinking I can lift the “table”( for example) by myself, try to remember to wait for a staff member to help me

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Hey Neetlee,

I had a read through your responses and yes you're on the right track... I'll also add some more points that you can consider....

1. Where would you find an organisation's procedures for raising OHS issues? OHS Legislation

Yes, you could also find it in the centres policy and procedure manual.

1. Describe how you have or could provide assistance to work group members to contribute to workplace safety. Following instructions involving the use of all equipment and substances that are in the centre. Being informed about all OHS obligations and going to all training that becomes available to staff members. Ensure that all staff and visitors, health and safety are something you consider very important. Ensure to tell the coordinator all workplace hazard that you have come across

Yes, well answered! You could also have safety demonstrations at the centre and workshops regarding OH&S issues.

2. Identify one way you could improve your level of commitment, consultation and/or cooperation in regard to OHS processes. Manual Handling – Instead of thinking I can lift the “table”( for example) by myself, try to remember to wait for a staff member to help me

You could also include having posters displayed around the centre of the correct way to bend and lift a child or a heavy item. Place colour coded stickers on items that are heavy and require more people to lift it (like a little reminder). Have a someone came and give a demonstration and a talk about manual handling.

Overall you understood and answered the questions well ( now I'm probably sounding like your lecturer :giggle:)

Hope this helps,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

neetlee44

Post by neetlee44 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks once again L.A.. I appreciate it. You are such a lifesaver. xx

arleea
Participator
Participator

Post by arleea » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi L.A
I see you have quite alot of knowledge in this module. (actually with children i should say :D)
I am very very stuck on a question, and am very curious if at all you would be able to assist me???

Thanks LA

Regards Arleea.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm

No problem... Just start a new topic with your question please.

:geek:,
L.A

arleea
Participator
Participator

Re: HLTOHS300A - Case Scenario: Nina

Post by arleea » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm

I need to add these questions to a stress related brochure i have to make.

1 - Types of stress related to working in children’s services ??
2 - A minimum of 5 techniques staff can use to reduce stress in the workplace?
3 - Reference of OHS legislation in relation to stress (i do not understand this question at all)

Thanks LA :D