HLTHIR404D - Mabo Descision & Racial Discrimination Act

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Thompson

HLTHIR404D - Mabo Descision & Racial Discrimination Act

Post by Thompson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Please Help Me, I was asked to resubmit assessment 2

My Question is
Assessment 2 Mabo Decision
a) What is the Mabo Decision?
b) How has the Mabo Decision affected indigenous law in Australia?
c) How has it affected perceptions of how indigenous people see themselves?
d) How has it affected perceptions of how others see indigenous people?

Legislation Racial Discrimination Act 1975
a) Discuss the influence of the Act on your health workplace / prac placement / community services workplace’s policy and procedures
b) How does this Act influence access and equity issues in the community services industry?

My Answer was

Mabo Decision
• The Mabo decision was a legal case held in 1992. It is short for Mabo and others v Queensland (No 2) (1992). The legal decision was made by the High Court on 3 June 1992. The High Court is the highest court in Australia’s judicial system. The Mabo decision was named after Eddie Mabo, the man who challenged the Australian legal system and fought for recognition of the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional owners of their land.

• The High Court's decision in the Mabo case and how for the first time in Australia, the laws and customs of Indigenous Australians, and the fact that they are the traditional owners of the land, was acknowledged and recognised as part of the common law in Australia. The term used to describe the common law rights of Indigenous people is Native Title.

• 1992 Mabo Decision by the High Court of Australia. This historic decision overthrew the concept of terra nullius in Australia. Although it was a ten-year struggle, which Eddie Koiki Mabo did not live to see completed, the Meriam people proved ownership of the Murray Islands on the principles of British common law. This in turn led to the Native Title Act 1993 that allows other Aboriginal groups to put in similar land claims..

• These were some of the negative responses of non-Aboriginal people.

"Aborigines taking over my back yard!"
"Aborigines claiming the suburban home that I have worked all my life to pay for!"
"Lazy Aborigines getting something for nothing, as usual!"

It was no wonder that many ordinary Australians felt fearful and insecure. Newspaper and television reports told how Aboriginal people would be able to claim large tracts of land, including whole townships, how the Mabo decision would take Australia back to "a stone-age culture".
The media and certain politicians took advantage of the public's lack of knowledge of the true facts, thus encouraging people to express unfounded fears about losing their homes, without once reassuring them that this could not possibly happen.

Legislation
• The racial discrimination act is implemented in the centre workplace policies and procedures. Teaching children not to be bias and the children in the centre participate in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander activities. Children are taught in everyday learning to be accepting of other children and their differences no matter on the culture, shapes and looks of other children.

• Access Services should be available to everyone who is entitled to them and should be free of any form of discrimination irrespective of a person’s country of birth, language, culture, race or religion. This is about making sure that clients can easily use the services that the agency provides, including planning, managing, delivering and promoting services in a way that is welcoming and accessible to all and service delivery takes into consideration the different cultural and linguistic characteristics that exists within a community.
Equity The principle of equity is about every Australian getting a ‘fair go’. Services should be developed and delivered on the basis of fair treatment of clients who are eligible to receive them. It means community services need to ensure that resources such as information programs and funding should be allocated according to need.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: HLTHIR404D - Mabo Descision & Racial Discrimination Act

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:22 pm

I think you need to specify with your first question which relates to a,b,c,d and you need more information. I'm providing you with some more info to help you out:

Mabo The Case
Mabo Judgement

For your second question, more info needed in regards to work policies. Think about workplace policies such as equal opportunities, anti-bias and anti discrimination etc. Here is some more info:

Equal Opportunity
The Aboriginal Community

This may also help:

Working and Walking Together

:geek:,
Lorina

Thompson

Post by Thompson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Thankyou for your reply Lorina
:)

Thompson

Post by Thompson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 pm

how is this now?
Mambo Decision
a) The Mambo Decision is about Eddie Mambo a man who went through the legal system to fight for the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples for land.
b) The decision in the Mambo case means that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are recognised owners of certain land.
c) Since the Mambo Decision was made in favour of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, now having the rights to their land they feel the protection in practising their culture and religion.
d) There were many negative responses towards Indigenous peoples with the non Indigenous fearing they would lose the land their homes were on.

Legislation
a) Having the racial discrimination act put in place in the services policies and procedures helps to guide staff in the education and wellbeing of children.
b) Access and Equity means removing barriers ensuring that all Australians regardless of racial background is given a fair go and have the rights to all services offered

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Yeah I think that's fine... for B C D what you have is good but I think you need to add a little more information about each point you have made.

:geek:,
Lorina