Encourage development of Preschoolers Positive Social Skills

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
zoebannerman

Encourage development of Preschoolers Positive Social Skills

Post by zoebannerman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 am

Module: Support the Development of Children

question:What can caregivers do to encourage the development of preschoolers’ positive social skills?

my answer: Help them to interact with other children, use activities to help them to learn about the world and to get ready for school. Using flash cards, singing the alphabet and counting to ten and so on, helping the children get prepared for the school world they are about to enter. They need help to get prepared for school by have constant interaction with other children and adults giving the good social skills which is crucial. To start helping the children learn their “ABC” and counting to “10” helping them to write their own name, helping them prepare for what school with be like socially and mentally, getting them involved in group activities. Also using my ability to communicate using emotions, actions and reactions. Also using my ability to get along with all the children and the children to get along with all the other children including the educators and other staff members.

what my tafe teacher say was in question 8 you were asked to explain what social skills are and how you encourage the development of these in preschoolers

can anyone please help me??
cheers Zoe

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Encourage development of Preschoolers Positive Social Skills

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Check out Learning Outcome 3.1 - Children become strong in their social and emotional wellbeing. I got these info from "Understanding the Early Years Learning Framework"
This is evident, for example, when children:

• demonstrate trust and confidence.

• remain accessible to others at times of distress, confusion and frustration.

• share humor, happiness and satisfaction

• seek out and accept new challenges, make new discoveries, and celebrate their own efforts and achievements and those of others.

• increasingly co-operate and work collaboratively with others.

• enjoy moments of solitude

• recognize their individual achievement.

• make choices, accept challenges, take considered risks, manage change and cope with frustrations and the unexpected.

• show an increasing capacity to understand, self-regulate and manage their emotions in ways that reflect the feelings and needs of others.

• experience and share personal successes in learning and initiate opportunities for new learning in their home languages or Standard Australian English.

• acknowledge and accept affirmation.

• assert their capabilities and independence while demonstrating increasing awareness of the needs and rights of others.

• recognize the contributions they make to shared projects and experiences.

Educators promote this learning, for example, when they:

• show genuine affection, understanding and respect for all children.

• collaborate with children to document their achievements and share their successes with their families.

• ensure that all children experience pride in their attempts and achievements.

• promote children’s sense of belonging, connectedness and wellbeing.

• challenge and support children to engage in and persevere at tasks and play.

• build upon and extend children’s ideas.

• maintain high expectations of each child’s capabilities.

• value children’s personal decision-making.

• welcome children and families sharing aspects of their culture and spiritual lives.

• talk with children about their emotions and responses to events with a view to supporting their understandings of emotional regulation and self-control

• acknowledge and affirm children’s effort and growth.

• mediate and assist children to negotiate their rights in relation to the rights of others.