Cultural Competence - cultural ID and history questions

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
catnap
Helper
Helper

Cultural Competence - cultural ID and history questions

Post by catnap » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Lorina,
thanks again for your reply - Yes Cultural Competence is very in-depth and alot to take in at times! A couple more questions today....
What types of information can be gathered to identify the cultural identity of the children within the service, their families and the local community?
My answer so far is......Family situations, names of elders and local families, names of traditional custodonians, learning performance, language/languages spoken,
health status. I need to write 100 words, so cannot find much else...any other ideas would be appreciated!
Next Question:
What knowledge is important to have about the local history of ATSI people?
How can gaining this knowledge influence the organisation policies and procedures and guidelines?
This is what I wrote so far....Educators should gain knowledge of the history of ATSI as it assists with developing cultural respect of ATSI in the area, as well as assisting educators to follow cultural protocol of the local area, and the Indigenous people who live in the communities. It is helpful to learn and understand the demographics of the population of and to be aware of this when meeting with ATSI people. Not sure if this makes sense?
I am not sure about the gaining knowledge can influence the organisations policies and procedures?
Thanks again!
Lesley