CHCIC301D Interact Effectively with Children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jodielw

CHCIC301D Interact Effectively with Children

Post by jodielw » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first time in this forum so bear with me! I'm having trouble with my last question of this module - can anyone help please?
I have to research two different cultural practices relating to two families and list appropriate communication methods, styles or words and Part b culturally based expectations about children's behaviour. Part c is different family practices and expectations. I'm sorry I can't get my head around this one! :?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCIC301D Interact Effectively with Children

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 am

Is it possible to get you to write the question as it is worded for your assignment.
For part b I can tell you to think about eg. Japanese children they are usually expected to be quiet, well behaved, work hard ... that is a cultural based expectation
For this assignment I would use an asian example, since we do have a lot of dealings with them in Australia, maybe for a 2nd culture you can use Middle Eastern or Indian culture

When u say list appropriate communication methods, is that with the child or with the family?

Once again if you can type the question as is we can put you in the right direction

jodielw

Post by jodielw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 am

Thankyou for the quick reply. It is a very long winded question so here goes.
"Some childrens services may not have any children or families from diverse cultural groups attending. In this event you are required to research the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and one other culture already evident in your area. This research will also help should you have any co-workers at your centre who are from these cultures.
(a) List some culturally appropriate communication methods, styles or words you have discovered.
(b) Culturally based expectations about children's behaviour
(c) Different family practices and expectations."

I think it's a pretty vague question and my trainer says I tend to overthink things (she's right! I read too much into them) but hopefully you can steer me in the right direction. Thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

lol you sound like me, I overthink my assignments too ... best way to do things (where possible) is bullet points, as it really simplifies stuff
I maybe wrong but perhaps for (a) it means some cultures u may have to address parents more formally Mr X & Mrs X whereas with Aussie parents using their 1st names isn't minded. You can also be more casual in your speech with local parents whereas with asian parents you will have to mind your manners and how you speak etc
Avoiding eye contact maybe something ... people are not being rude its a cultural thing where they do not make eye contact as its a shyness thing or makes them uncomfortable. eg Middle Eastern/Arab/Pakistani women not shaking hands/making eye contact with men
I think i told you about (b)
(c) would be pretty much on the lines of b i think but just more detailed , not just about behaviour

If you write your ideas and answer down I am sure we can go through it and see. It is a pretty vague question but since they have mentioned Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, you can do a Google search and get info

Good luck and hope 2 be reading your ideas soon.

I am overseas so am travelling back to Australia later today so may not be around for the next day & a half but I am sure one of the other lovely ladies will help