CHCFC502A-Fine Motor and Gross Motor experiences

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nicoletteb

CHCFC502A-Fine Motor and Gross Motor experiences

Post by nicoletteb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC502A - Foster physical development in early Childhood
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
In consultation with your workplace supervisor choose two experiences, one fine motor and one gross motor skill for a small group or individual child. The experiences need to promote positive interactions between children and offer challenge, choice and independence and be aimed at promoting confidence in children's physical skills
Reflect on the implemented experiences and provide an evaluation on each experience using the dot points below: What I would like to know out of this experience how did it encourage and enhance the children's physical skills and what is the strategies in the experience that is used to promote self esteem and develop skills

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Environment: Inside Play

Today during group time we discussed with the children what they would like to do during inside playtime. There were lots of requests and one of them was colouring in.

Molly and Clive was colouring in for a while when I walked over and sat with them. We started discussing what it was that they were doing. Molly said she was doing a colouring in picture to take home with her. Clive then said; ‘Hey, look, I’m doing this one that’s about a reindeer and a snowman, and this looks like me (He was pointing at the Elf). I saw Molly pick up a crayon and I asked her what she’s going to colour in next. Molly said; ‘I was colouring in the eyes, but now I’m going to colour in the Reindeer and Elf. Clive then attracted my attention by saying, ‘look, I’m holding my pencil like this; is this the right way?
I then asked, if they liked colouring in and what colours they like using. Both of them said that they love colouring in and Molly said he’s going to use yellow next and after that using other colours. She pointed at the colour yellow and said, ‘look, it look like the sun. She then asked me if I know that the sun is yellow. I said to her ‘yes, I did know that. She then pointed out to Rudolph’s nose and said, that should be red, so she picked up the red pencil and started colouring in the nose. I looked at Clive’s picture and asked him why is he colouring in he’s whole picture green. He threw his hands in the air and said ‘it’s because green is my favourite colour, Silly! He then pointed to the stars on the picture and said ‘Green Stars’! Molly then said ‘stars come out when it’s time to go to bed’. I said to her ‘you’re right, stars come out at night to let you know that you need to go to sleep. Molly then pointed at her stars and said; look I’m making rainbow stars! I asked her to tell me what colour the rainbow is and she said, yellow, blue and green. She was quite for a few min, and then she said, it’s got to be very cold before you can build a snow man. I said to her, yes you have to have lots of snow. Clive asked if he could use another colour, and I said, he can use any colour he like.

Outcomes:

Follow Up: Do more activities on Colour. Discuss the different seasons with the children. Explain to them about the son and stars and about temperatures.
The children really enjoy talking about different things and different colours. It is a great opportunity to introduce more activities about colour and season.

Evaluation: Molly’s strengths are her knowledge of the colours she is using and her knowledge about stars. Molly is also displaying her knowledge about time concept. She isn’t telling what time the stars comes out, but she know it has to be dark.
Clive’s strengths is his previous learning experiences and knowledge on how to hold the pencil the right way. He is not too concerned about the variety of colours as he is practicing another skill that is important to him (Holding the pencil in the right grip … which eventually when he has practiced that skill, then he will move on to a next stage of interest … possibly using more colour to colour) He is also colouring in very neatly and tries to colour in between the lines … it wasn’t scribbling, it was controlled colouring in which demonstrates his fine motor skill coordination)

Description and Message:
Please help me with this question:
I need some help on what could be done differently for this type of experience
What stands out that worked out well in the experience.
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading edited

Lorina

Re: Cert III in children's services

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

You did a very detailed observation of both children coloring which is great. You also got involved and used positive and friendly interactions.

With your evaluation I think it's important to focus on one interest at a time. You mentioned colors, time and seasons. They all came from this particular observation but I would just focus on one. Since the observation is mostly about coloring and both Molly and Clive discussing different colours you can primarily focus on this. As a follow up experience you can introduce secondary colours, mixing primary colours together to create secondary colours, using different materials of colour such as painting, water colours, spray painting and you could also explore colours in the environment.

I'm not sure if this is what you're after....

Hopefully this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

nicoletteb

Re: CHCFC502A-Fine Motor and Gross Motor experiences

Post by nicoletteb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 am

Thank you so much! It really helps!