CHCECE026 - Scenario: Lewis Sleeping During Nap

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
brittburdon

CHCECE026 - Scenario: Lewis Sleeping During Nap

Post by brittburdon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 pm

I need some assistance and guidance for a scenario question as I am second guessing myself and feeling a bit unsure with my response.

Scenario:
'Michael, aged 3.5yrs attends your service 4 days per week from 7.30am to 5:30pm. Lewis, Michael's father, arrives at the service this morning and asks to speak to Louise the room supervisor. Lewis appears quite frustrated and asks Louise to not allow Michael to sleep anymore during the day. Lewis explains that Michael was up until 10pm last night and this is becoming a regular occurrence.
Michael is often the first to fall asleep, normally sleeping for 2-3hrs.'

A) Write down what you would say to Lewis immediately.
MY RESPONSE: I would firstly mediate the situation by profusely apologizing and acknowledging the concern Lewis has, without being biased, critical and defensive. Like so, ‘Good morning Lewis, I am really sorry that you had a rough night last night with Michael. I hope we can discuss this and find a suitable arrangement for Michael. I’ll go chase down Louise for you now.’

B) What may be the service procedure for managing this concern?
C) How may the service negotiate with Lewis to develop agreed strategies for this situation?

My service doesn't quite have a policy that correlates to this situation, however, I was going to go down the line of saying we could allow Michael to rest by reading a story or colouring in during rest time, if he does happen to fall asleep, wake him within an agreed period of time or come up with a designated time he has to wake up or go to sleep.
Managing this concern would by communicating with Lewis, not being overbearing and listening to suggestions. Ensuring he is appreciated and his thoughts and views are of utmost importance and valued as he is Michael's father.
Not sure if I am steering my answers on the right track, any help, suggestions or further reading would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Lorina

Re: CHCECE026 - Scenario: Lewis Sleeping During Nap

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Sorry forgot to mention:

Yes! You're on the right track with your response! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina