CHCCS400C - Scenario: Michael & Susie

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
emmajogc

CHCCS400C - Scenario: Michael & Susie

Post by emmajogc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401A & CHCCS400C Ass 2 Task 3 Scenario
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
The fundamental obligations for anyone working in a children‘s service is to keep children safe. Duty of care defines workplace practices and attitudes that you are required to follow and demonstrate to ensure the safety of the children in your care.

As a new staff member you must fulfil your responsibilities of duty of care.

To demonstrate your knowledge of this important area, please state the four areas where Michael has shown negligence in his duty of care in the following scenario.

Michael was a new team member who has worked at the centre as a casual for the last month, this was his first day doing an early open shift at the centre, Susie the other educator has worked at the centre for 2 years was verbally guiding Michael through the morning set up routine. Susie failed to tell Michael about the routine safety check of the outdoor playground. Later in the day during outside play, one child playing in the sand pit sustained a needle stick injury.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Michael owed a duty of care to the children in care at the centre. He was responsible to provide the children with a safe environment and appropriate care and supervision.

He did not take every reasonable precaution in the situation that he was the opening staff member and carrying out morning set out, to protect the children from a hazard likely to cause injury.

There was injury to the child.

A clear link can be established between these three factors.

Description and Message:
I am not sure this is the correct answer.........................................................?
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Duty of Care

Post by Kaz » Sun May 05, 2013 7:35 am

This is a hard one as some of the blame does also have to fall on the other staff member too.
I find everything you said right, but Michael also didn't find out everything before hand by the sounds of this scenario, therefore he didn't know the full routine.
If this was my question I'd take what you have and ask your teacher if your able or brain storm with another student as well .
GOOD LUCK :)