CHCCS400B – Case Scenario: Joint Custody Protecting Children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sammiip01

CHCCS400B – Case Scenario: Joint Custody Protecting Children

Post by sammiip01 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: chccs400B – protecting children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Pretty much the scenario is a angry father turns up to a centre and wants to pick up his twins. He has a apprehended violence order against his wife who allegedly been physically abusing. He no longer lives at home but he still has joint custody of their twins. The mother has states to the centre to call her immediately if her husband arrives to pick up their children. When the receptionist doesn't buzz him in as she wanted to let the director know first he starts being abusive and belting on the door and windows. Then yells that his the kids father and she doesn't have custody yet?

Im to discuss these points
A - the father is clearly angry should he be given access to his twins
B - there is no custody order restricting access should the director telephone the mother
C - what are the legal obligations of the centre

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
So i am a bit confused and need a little clarifying.

Here's what i have thought so far.

A - i personally believe seeing that the father is clearly angry that he shouldn't be given access to the twins. But at the same time he has custody of the children am i able to say No?
B - i think the director should call the mother as she still has joint custody of the children and does have some right on to who should pick up the children.
C - the legal obligations that i know off is that the centre is to provide a duty of care to the children so if the staff have a feeling that something isn't right are they able to say no to a parent picking up their children?

Description and Message:
Any help on this will be great im still trying to get my head wrapped around on what i would do as a parent (i have 2 children) and what is the legal responsibility of working as a staff member in a centre. Am i in the right track?
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: chccs400B – protecting children

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm

This is a bit of a tough one! Yes, you're on the right track...

Since the father has joint custody of the twins, the mother has no right to request the director to ring her when the father picks up their children. As long as the centre has a copy of the joint custody agreement then that's all the centre can pretty much do! If the mother wants to change the custody arrangements, she will have to go to court and provide the centre with the new custody agreement.

As the father is angry then for the time being he shouldn't be given access to the twins. It would be probably best for him to calm down and cool off... Even though he may be yelling and screaming it doesn't stop him from collecting the children.

As for the legal obligations if the director feels that a parent is unfit to collect their child the next best thing to do is call someone from the enrollment form who is also "authorized to collect child" and ask them to come and collect the children. The director will need to clearly explain to both parents because they both have joint custody they both may pick up the children... The director should also inform staff about the situation.

:geek:,
L.A

sammiip01

Re: CHCCS400B – Case Scenario: Joint Custody Protecting Children

Post by sammiip01 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Great thanks for the help that's what I thought and glad that I'm on the right track :-)