CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Maria

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Silvia

CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Maria

Post by Silvia » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
"Maria's parents are recent arrivals from overseas, and her parents are working hard to establish a business. Maria- age 11, is often left to mind her younger siblings while her parents work. Tonight her parents will not return home until midnight."

Q: Explain what cultural influences you believe impact on this family situation? (1/2 pages).

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
In my understanding, I believe the cultural influence that impact on this family situation is: Many countries the parents have a lot of support by other family members such as: grandparents, Uncle, Aunty or close friends with the help of looking after their children while they are gone off to work. The parents also give the responsibility to the oldest child who can be as young as 7/8 years of age, either to stay home alone or to take care of their other siblings while they are gone to work. In Australia, the legal age for a child to stay home alone is 13 years of age. When Parents like Maria migrates to Australia it can take a while to grasp everything and all the rules and regulation regarding legal age of a child to stay home alone. The parents therefore need to gather knowledge and information regarding the legal age for a child to be left home alone and other resources such as how they can have their children minded in “child care centers” or for after hour care through “Family Day Care” Schemes. There are many options for the parents to apply an overcome their situations by educating themselves and knowing the rules/laws that applies through Australian government. The parents are so use to their own cultural way of living that this sudden transition in their life (Migrating to Australia) will need more time, knowledge and right guidance to resolve this cultural influence impact on this family.

Description and Message:
Please advise me if I am in right track or do I need to add or delete any of the information in my answer. Thank you very much for your time to read and help me with my answer. Much appreciated.
Last edited by Lorina on Mon May 13, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Maria

Post by Lorina » Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 pm

I think this is more about treating older children as responsible adults rather than the legal age for leaving a child at home.

Check out the following link for more help: CHCCHILD401A - Cultural Influences - Scenario: Maria

:geek:,
L.A