CHC30113- Food and Nutrition

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Raheel@

CHC30113- Food and Nutrition

Post by Raheel@ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello Lorina,

I have been following your posts for the last 6 months. I am enrolled in Certificate 3 in Children Services. I have been asked to revise following question. Could you please have a look on my responses and let me know if something missing/wrong? I will appreciate a reply sooner as my deadline is close.

Q: Label the practices for feeding a 12 months baby as if they are suitable or not suitable and explain why?
P1-Putting a baby to bed with bottle of juice--Its not safe to put the baby to bed with a bottle of juice as this can trigger the risks of choking, ear infection and dental issues such as Bottle Tooth Decay. In this disease, when sweet liquid pools into mouth, the bacteria start feeding on its lactose sugars. They produce an acid that damages tooth surface leading to formation of cavities. The upper front teeth are decayed first followed by other teeth later. This ailment affects development of the child’s jaw, emerging baby teeth and even adult teeth as well as can disrupt child's speaking and sleeping. In addition to that, juices contain excessive sugars which can cause baby to put on excessive weight.
P2-Giving the baby nacho cheese corn chips--The nacho cheese corn chips are not suitable for baby’s health as they come under discretionary items which are high in saturated fats. The latter can cause him/her to put on excess weight. In addition to that, the processed cheese is likely to contain artificial flavours/additives which are not good for babies.
P3-Giving the baby sticks of cheese, par-boiled carrots and sultanas as a snack--Small, rounded and sticky sultanas, par-boiled carrots and cheese sticks can trigger choking risk. If cheese sticks are made out of unpasteurized cow's milk then they can cause infections. Carrot should be offered to the baby when well-cooked and mashed/pureed.
P4-Giving the baby chocolate milk to drink--The chocolate milk is unsuitable for a baby because it contains extra sugar that can cause Baby Tooth Decay affecting the development of baby's jaw, emerging baby teeth and future adult teeth. The chocolate milk can cause obesity in babies as well as may result in setting up an inappropriate habit of eating sweets in future. Additionally, this contains caffeine which is unhealthy for the babies.
5-Feeding the baby safe, healthy foods from different cultures--A baby can be introduced to safe and healthy foods from different cultures given they belong to the five food groups, aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines and meet nutritional, physiological and developmental needs of babies by containing adequate amounts of iron and zinc, fat, protein, vitamins and other essential minerals. This practice will enable infants to explore and accept new flavours/textures as well as lays the foundation of their eating preferences and behaviours.

Kind Regards.
Raheela.

Lorina

Re: CHC30113- Food and Nutrition

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Raheel@ wrote:QR_BBPOST P2-Giving the baby nacho cheese corn chips

Also, can cause a choking hazard.

Raheel@ wrote:QR_BBPOST Giving the baby sticks of cheese, par-boiled carrots and sultanas as a snack

I think this is safe and suitable for a 12-month-old baby. You just need to supervise when eating sultanas as it could cause choking but I think these foods are suitable for a 1 year old.

I think the rest of your responses are on the right track!

:geek:,
Lorina