CHC30113

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
beccab28
Participator
Participator

CHC30113

Post by beccab28 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:23 am

Hey,

am I able to get some help on my assignment that came back. Here are the questions I need to change and the feed back I got.

Any tips would be amazing.

Case Study 3
It is coming up to April and the early childhood education and care service where you work traditionally holds an Easter egg hunt within the service’s grounds. The children eagerly look forward to this experience each year, and make Easter egg baskets to collect their eggs in. This year a parent, in the 3-5s room has requested that their child not participate in the egg hunt as they do not allow their child to eat chocolate. The parent also makes comment that they feel this experience contradicts the service’s practices in relation to promoting healthy eating amongst the children and their families

Me
a) How would you accommodate this parent’s request, while at the same time respecting the wishes of the other families who attend the service? Remember, it is important not to make any child feel excluded.
I would get that child to participate in other ways such as helping set up and help run the hunt. While the child is missing out of the actually searching for the eggs and eating them, I would try and distract him/her with important jobs for him/her to do.
I would work together with the parent to try and find the best food we could use instead of chocolate so that when the children are sitting down and eating the child would have something instead of chocolate so he/she didn’t feel left out.
Quality care occurs when child care professionals understand each child’s family wishes.

Assessor comments
Case study 3 a- this is not inclusive, please think of an inclusive practice where all children are involved whilst still respecting the parents wishes. Please resubmit.

Case Study 5
You have just begun working in the 0-2s room at an early childhood education and care service. One of the other educators in the room is reluctant to allow the children to feed themselves and still insists on having all of the children sitting in high chairs for every meal. From your studies and professional readings, you know that children should be encouraged to develop self-help skills and be given the opportunity to experience relaxed, enjoyable mealtimes.

Me
b) What steps would you take to change the culture in the 0-2s room around meal times without causing conflict amongst the educators?
I would make sure the children eat according to their age and how capable they are to eating and what they need to help them, a couple things would be:
• Putting the older toddlers on chairs and sitting at the tables while keeping the younger ones in high chairs
• Offering spoons to children while still helping them to eat
• Getting staff to sit with a few children to assist them with their eating.
In your answer, state how the Belonging, Being and Becoming – The Early Years Learning Framework and the National Quality Standard can be used to facilitate change and guide practice within the service.
Belonging, being and Becoming – I think that every section of this book is relevant to this question. The book is all about making children confident in their surroundings and a lot able to take care of them where they can.

Assessor comments
Case study 5 b- Useful strategies, however you need to specifically explain how you would use EYLF and NQS. Please resubmit.

Case Study 6
A new educator has started working at your service. During meal times you have observed her making statements to the children like, ‘You won’t be getting any dessert unless you eat all of your lunch’, ‘Children who don’t eat all of their food won’t get presents off Santa Claus’, ‘I’m not giving you a drink until you eat all of your carrots’ and ‘Well if you don’t eat the casserole I won’t give you anything else to eat. You will just have to go hungry’.

Me
a) Identify the Education and Care Services National Regulation this educator is breaching by making these statements.Element 1.1.2
Each child’s current knowledge, ideas, culture, abilities and interests are the foundation of the program.
What we aim to achieve with element 1.1.2
Knowledge of individual children’s strengths and capabilities guides educators’ and co-ordinators’ professional judgment in engaging children in a range of experiences across learning outcomes and in ways that optimise their learning (Early Years Learning Framework, page 19).Viewing children as active participants and decision makers opens up possibilities for educators to move beyond preconceived expectations about what children can do and learn. This requires educators to respect and work with each child’s unique qualities and abilities (Early Years Learning Framework, page 9; Framework for School Age Care, page 8).
The diversity in family life means that children experience ‘belonging, being and becoming’ in many different ways. They bring their diverse experiences, perspectives, expectations, knowledge and skills to their learning (Early Years Learning Framework, page 9; Framework for School Age Care, page 7).
When school age care educators respect the diversity of families and communities, and the focus on the aspirations they hold for children, they are able to nurture children’s wellbeing and foster children’s development. They make program decisions that uphold all children’s rights to have their cultures, identities, abilities and strengths acknowledged and valued, and respond to the complexity of children’s and families’ lives (Framework for School Age Care, page 12).
Element 1.1.5
Every child is supported to participate in the program.
What we aim to achieve with element 1.1.5
Inclusion involves taking into account all children’s social, cultural and linguistic diversity (including learning styles, abilities, disabilities, gender, family circumstances and geographic location) in curriculum decision-making processes.
The intent is to ensure that all children’s experiences are recognised and valued and that they have equitable access to resources and participation and opportunities to demonstrate their learning (Early Years Learning Framework, page 24; Framework for School Age Care, page 24).
Educators and co-ordinators challenge practices that contribute to inequities and they make decisions that promote inclusion and participation of all children. By developing their professional knowledge and skills, and working in partnership with children, families, communities and other services and agencies, they continuously strive to find equitable and effective ways to ensure that all children have opportunities to experience a sense of personal worth and achieve outcomes (Framework for School Age Care, page 12).

Assessor comments
Case study 6 a- the question is asking you to identify the regulation the educator is breaching. Please seek the Education and Care Services National Regulations and give the number and information. Please resubmit.

Me
b) Explain how this staff member is acting unethically and undermining the rights of the children in their care. Make reference to the National Quality Standard, Belonging, Being and Becoming – The Early Years Learning Framework, Early Childhood Australia Code of Ethics and United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in your answer.
The Educator is acting unethically by not treating each child individually but rather altogether. Some children would like carrots some may not. Some children may also not be able to eat as much as others or due to religion reasons some children would need to eat different things or not are able to eat what others are eating.
Children learn about themselves and construct their own identity within the context of their families and communities. This includes their relationships with people, places and things and the actions and responses of others. Identity is not fixed. It is shaped by experiences. When children have positive experiences they develop an understanding of themselves as significant and respected, and feel a sense of belonging. Relationships are the foundations for the construction of identity – ‘who I am’, ‘how I belong’ and ‘what is my influence?’
In early childhood settings children develop a sense of belonging when they feel accepted, develop attachments and trust those that care for them. As children are developing their sense of identity, they explore different aspects of it (physical, social, emotional, spiritual, and cognitive), through their play and their relationships.
When children feel safe, secure and supported they grow in confidence to explore and learn.
The concept of being reminds educators to focus on children in the here and now, and of the importance of children’s right to be a child and experience the joy of childhood. Being involves children developing an awareness of their social and cultural heritage, of gender and their significance in their world.
Becoming includes children building and shaping their identity through their evolving experiences and relationships which include change and transitions. Children are always learning about the impact of their personal beliefs and values. Children’s agency, as well as guidance, care and teaching by families and educators shape children’s experiences of becoming.
Article 12 (Respect for the views of the child): When adults are making decisions that affect children, children have the right to say what they think should happen and have their opinions taken into account. This does not mean that children can now tell their parents what to do. This Convention encourages adults to listen to the opinions of children and involve them in decision-making -- not give children authority over adults. Article 12 does not interfere with parents' right and responsibility to express their views on matters affecting their children. Moreover, the Convention recognizes that the level of a child’s participation in decisions must be appropriate to the child's level of maturity. Children's ability to form and express their opinions develops with age and most adults will naturally give the views of teenager’s greater weight than those of a pre-schooler, whether in family, legal or administrative decisions.
Article 12 (Respect for the views of the child): When adults are making decisions that affect children, children have the right to say what they think should happen and have their opinions taken into account.
Article 13 (Freedom of expression): Children have the right to get and share information, as long as the information is not damaging to them or others. In exercising the right to freedom of expression, children have the responsibility to also respect the rights, freedoms and reputations of others. The freedom of expression includes the right to share information in any way they choose, including by talking, drawing or writing.

Assessor comments
Case study 6 b- UNCRC and EYLF referenced here well, however now please add NQS and Code of ethics

beccab28
Participator
Participator

Re: CHC30113

Post by beccab28 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Anyone able to help with this one?