Certificate 3 - OOSH - Cultural/Language Issue

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
astroboy9679

Certificate 3 - OOSH - Cultural/Language Issue

Post by astroboy9679 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi All this is my final question left in my second last module. I have one more module to complete after this question then i have my Cert III. I have really enjoyed it. Sorry to be asking alot of questions but we have not really come across the scenario listed below at my centre. Hope someone can shed some light on it for me. Ideas appreciated. Thanks in Advance Mark.

SCENARIO
8 Year old Chen and his family are new to Australia. At OSHC Chen requires one to one help with his homework. Chen’s father speaks little English but has indicated his concern that his son is not completing his homework whilst in care.

I then have to answer the below questions in relation to the above scenario.

You need to reach agreement on this issue with the parent.
 How would you address any cultural or language issues which may arise?

 How would you explain the importance/relevance of how and why your program is structured to meet the needs of school-age children?

 How would you explain any difficulties which maybe encountered in attempting to meet the parent’s request?

 What alternatives/compromises could you discuss with the parent?

 How would you negotiate and modify your program/care practices in relation to the parent’s request?

 How would the final decision be communicated and to whom? What follow-up/review would occur?

Lorina

Re: FINAL QUESTION NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Hello Mark,

Here are a few ideas regarding your questions for your assignment…

How would you address any cultural or language issues which may arise?

To deal with a language issue which may arise try and get the assistance of a familiar parent/staff member or teacher. They could help translate which will make it a lot easier to deal with this issue as there wouldn’t be anything lost in translation and this issue can be resolved. If you can’t find anyone to translate then its ok you will just have to try and resolve this issue by talking to the parent yourself. I understand that the parent has already indicated his concerns so he does understand English on some level. You just need to talk at a slow pace to get your message across.

How would you explain the importance/relevance of how and why your program is structured to meet the needs of school-age children?

A program of experiences for OOSH children should, as far as possible, allow children to make their own choices based on individual interests, needs, strengths, age and energy levels. The program should promote the importance of play, especially child-initiated play. Regimented times – when everyone is required to do the same thing at the same time – should be kept to a minimum.

Program planning for OOSH children is not about the staff planning ‘lessons’ or doing ‘formal’ teaching – it is about designing recreational experiences for children in the hours after school or during school holidays.

How would you explain any difficulties which maybe encountered in attempting to meet the parent’s request?

Try to convey to the parent that you will be unable to sit and tutor this particular child because you are responsible for supervising all the children in your care. Homework at the centre is encouraged however it is not forced. It is important for the parents themselves to discuss the issues of completing homework with their child itself, so their child is aware that their parents would like them to complete their homework at the centre.

What alternatives/compromises could you discuss with the parent?

Let the parent know that you do offer opportunities in the afternoon for all children to complete their homework if necessary. You can suggest that the child team up with a buddy from class who also attends the centre to try and encourage their child to complete their homework while staying at the centre with their buddy. Ask the parents to talk to their child about them wanting him to complete their homework but like I said previously you can only encourage the child not FORCE them to complete homework. If the child doesn’t complete their homework at the centre, alternatively they can do it when they get home however it is not your responsibility to enforce this, it’s the parents.

How would you negotiate and modify your program/care practices in relation to the parent’s request?

In the afternoons provide a quiet area where children can complete their homework. You can have a quick discussion with the kids about homework and if they do complete it while at the centre they don’t have to worry about it later. Even though we cannot tutor individual children, whichever staff member is in the room can always help the child understand what they need to do for homework for those children who are doing it. Maybe you could put a reward such as a sticker for the children who do complete their homework at the centre.

How would the final decision be communicated and to whom? What follow-up/review would occur?

The final decision should be communicated through verbal agreement to parents/staff members and the parents. After a couple of weeks a follow up conversation should take place with the parents about this issue.

Hopefully this should answer most of the questions for you…

Goodnight,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A