Which university?

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
law92
Helper
Helper

Which university?

Post by law92 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

After I finish my diploma, I want to study a Bachelor of education (early childhood) to teach 0-8 years and study it online. I was looking at going through OUA curtin university as they are online. Has anyone gone through them for this degree? What have your experiences been? Is all the work done fully online with assignments? Do you need to go to the uni to sit exams? Do you receive adequate help and support from the uni when needed? Will they organise my practical work experiences for the degree as they are in a different state from where I am?

I've previously done a semester at USQ, but wasn't that impressed with them. Even though they offer their course online as well, they still require that you go and sit exams.

A lot of questions I know but any feedback would be appreciated. :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Which university?

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I was with USQ and none of my units required me to go to Uni to sit exams. I am now with UNE and it is totally online too. I find UNE very good, I organise my own pracs which is pretty good. It is totally online ... it also has saved me time as with a Diploma and 1 yrs experience I got 2 years off the 3 yr degree (Bachelor of Teaching) and then u can top up with the 1 extra year to do the 5-8 component and get your Bachelor of Education (EC)
I have done study through OUA before and found it too hard and tedious as you posed questions to OUA who then told you to speak to the UNI and I just found OUA like the middle man that was not required, I prefer studying & being enrolled DIRECTLY with the Uni from which I am studying.

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:11 pm

With the bachelor of education through UNE does that qualify you to teach 0-8 years or is it just 0-5 years? I was looking at UNE but wasn't sure if their bachelor of education (early childhood) was the one I was looking to do?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

http://www.une.edu.au/courses/2013/courses/BTCHEC
This is what I am doing but to get in you need a Diploma & 1 yrs FT experience. You cannot get straight into the Bachelor of Education http://www.une.edu.au/courses/courses/BEDEC unless you have the previous qual or a 3 yr qual from somewhere else.
Any Bachelor of Education (EC) will allow you to teach 0-8 so a 4 year qualification will allow that a 3 year qual will only let you do 0-5yrs

zara1200

Post by zara1200 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Oxford university is the best for you to start study.

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm

zara1200 wrote:Oxford university is the best for you to start study.
Not quite sure if you're being serious, but sure if you want to study law, science or mathematics AND you live in the UK I would whole heartedly agree. :giggle: But for early childhood in Australia I think Macquarie is hard to beat. :lol:

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Oh and I can definitely vouch for USQ, I did my GradDip online with them and it was great!

chewi_chouille

Post by chewi_chouille » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi fchaudari76,
My name is Mylene, I am looking at enrolling at UNE for my bachelor of teaching next trimester and I was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on the course, the amount of work (I want to graduate in a year), the difficulty of the assignements and just your overall opinion on the degree.

I have a diploma and have also studied teaching for 2 years back home before that, I am also working full time as a team leader and I am really interested in the teaching degree UNE has to offer but I am a bit worried as I haven't studied in about two years and I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.
If you get a chance to reply, your help would be much appreciated,

Thank you
Mylene

cait-ie.sh

Post by cait-ie.sh » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:11 pm

fchaudari76 wrote: Any Bachelor of Education (EC) will allow you to teach 0-8 so a 4 year qualification will allow that a 3 year qual will only let you do 0-5yrs
Hi,

I just wanted to say that although it is the case that the vast majority of four year qualifications cover 0-8,not all of them do so it's important to double check before you enrol. The Bachelor of Education (Birth to Five Years) at Charles Sturt University, for example, is a four year qualification but it's 0-5 (they do have a three year Bachelor of Teaching exit point though so you could exit there and do a fourth year that covers primary teaching somewhere else if you wanted to).

I also studied at USQ briefly and my exam centre was in Melbourne where I live and had I continued I could have organised my own placements in Melbourne.

In terms of quality of teaching I know that Charles Sturt is very good and they are very supportive and committed to getting their students to succeed and be quality teachers when they graduate. I have heard from many sources that Monash is excellent (although I don't know whether there are requirements to attend classes) and I know that Swinburne have a new degree that covers 0-8 that has been/is being designed and delivered by some amazing educators (again, I don't know whether absolutely everything is online or not). I also agree that Macquarie has an excellent reputation but I have a feeling you may have to attend classes or residential schools.

Good luck with it!