What units are you studying this semester?

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Lorina

What units are you studying this semester?

Post by Lorina » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently enrolled in the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) and the semester begins on Monday. I'm studying this degree at Curtin University (through OUA).

Just thought I'd create a topic for everyone studying their degree to share what units they enrolled in for the semester... Interesting to see if units are similar in other universities and where your at... I'm enrolled in the following units:

1) EDE101 Effective Communication: Academic and Professional Contexts 101
2) EDE104 Numeracy (birth - 5 years).

Happy Studying,
:geek: L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: What units are you studying this semester?

Post by LindyT » Sun May 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Good luck L.A on your up coming study!
I know you will do really well.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Mon May 28, 2012 7:35 pm

When I did my B/ED E/C - edu101 was intro to teaching - didn't have an edu104. I bet they are all just different versions of the same thing. Good luck LA - know you will blitz it :)

Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Post by Rosie123 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 am

Hi,

I just completed Effective Communication and professional practices. It was an excellent unit to start off with. Learn t heaps. Special since I haven't done essays for years. I am enroled in Assessment practices and numeracy 0 - 5 next semester at curtin uni.

Rosie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 29, 2012 7:43 pm

LIndy: Thanks! Positive thinking....LOL...

CathieK: yeah I agree. I think that they are all based around the same topic but done differently. Have you completed your degree?

Rosie: Last night I finished reading the topic 1 module for numeracy and it's very interesting. Hoping to start on the topic 1 module of effective communication in about an hour or so. Nice to know I got a fellow Curtin student... Are you doing numeracy now or AUG semester?

:geek: L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm

This semester I am doing EDC 1400 Foundations of Curriculum & Pedagogy ... all about becoming a teacher, curriculum considerations, lesson planning, reflecting on practise, teaching strategies etc so v.useful.
Last assignment is due next Monday so that will be 2 semesters done for me YAY

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Yep LA - all finished - have my degree in EC and Primary Teaching. Am working at a Kindy in WA (attached to schools over here)
Cathie

Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Post by Rosie123 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi LA

I am doing the unit next semester July. Are you doing it online?? If so is it difficult on line? I am still waiting for my workshop times. If they are on the days I work then I may have to consider doing the degree on line. I didnt want to but when I did my first unit there was only Friday workshops to register for. If you need any help with effective Communication unit let me know and am looking forward to numeracy.

regards Rosie

kessie

Post by kessie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi L.A
Great to hear you are going further with your studies. Your uni subjects look totally different to (USQ). I have started this year with 2 subjects and found it really managable so am doing 3 next semester, EDX1280 foundations of numeracy, EDC1300 Perpesectives in Education and EDC2300 Indigenous Perpectives for education. Really enjoying it (so far). We have Face book study groups which I have found great support as an online student. Good luck with your first semester.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Last assignment is due next Monday so that will be 2 semesters done for me YAY

Fefe, I can't believe you have already finished 2 semester already... I remember when you were asking in the forum about which uni to attend and now look at where your at! Time does fly by doesn't it!
Yep LA - all finished - have my degree in EC and Primary Teaching. Am working at a Kindy in WA

Cathie, does this mean you're working as a kindergarten teacher? Oh I would love to have my own classroom at a school! Something I look forward to when I finish my degree! :D
I am doing the unit next semester July. Are you doing it online?? If so is it difficult on line?

Rosie, Im into week 3 of my first semester of uni and so far, it's been manageable. I am completing it online.

The only thing difficult about it is the study materials. For my first two units I decided not to buy the recommended textbooks... Even though you do have access to an online library, unfortunately not all the books you require is available as an e book.

For Numeracy it hasn't been such an issue because within the weekly topics they provide you with a lot of information to read, websites to look at, etc. However, with Effective Communication it's been a little difficult. All they do is tell you the chapter and page number to read in the required textbook and answer the questions... However, I'm handling it ok, even though sometimes I want to pull my hair out! HAHA! It's all part of the learning process! I have found the unit Effective Communication to be a little challenging because I'm so use to writing informally, I have to change my technique to formal writing... I'm learning new things and I have to say that I'm enjoying it so far!

Really enjoying it (so far). We have Face book study groups which I have found great support as an online student. Good luck with your first semester.

Kessie, I'm also enjoying the units I'm doing... For me it validates what I already know and put into practice at work and I'm learning so much more... I have my first couple of assignments due in the next couple of weeks so now I have to focus on completing them. I'm trying not to leave it all to the last minute and it's great that I have lots of practice with researching and working in early childhood because it really comes in handy! I never got into Facebook... I'm using Blackboard Learn which also incorporates an online discussion board where we have to respond to weekly discussions... No worries so far!

To all of you studying your way through this semester, good luck and keep on studying!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes LA - I am working as a Kindy teacher in an independent school in WA. Our school goes from Kindy - year 12. I have 4 year olds in my class. It is lovely having my own classroom - I have 2 groups as kids only come 1/2 a week each. Grow so close to them all, they are adorable. Have to meet school educational outcomes as well as EYLF ones which is proving to be a challenge as sometimes they contradict each other, but working through it.
All the best with your studies :)
Cathiek

Cherie05

Post by Cherie05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 am

Hi L.A, I am 1 week into my first trimester of my bachelor. I have never studied at UNI before and am very nervous at the prospect. Im doing it off campus on line. My first unit is Professionals in early childhood education (EDEC310), I have also enrolled in young children as communitcators (EDEC 333). Im going through UNE (unviversity of new england). Looking through the requirements and assignments now. Finding it all a bit overwelming, Im not sure how im going to go with all the uni speak and rules for assignments. Im used to the TAFE way, which is not as formal or full on with refferencing and supporting your veiws and arguments. Think I have a lot of learning to do and quick smart! Quitly freaking out over here!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 pm

HI Cherie
The most valuable thing I learnt about assignments at UNi (I did my degree through murdoch) is to look at the rubric for the assignment and get it clear in my head exactly what they are looking for and what the weightings are, for instance 30% of the mark may be on providing tables & graphs to support your argument and only 5% on referencing, so you know where to concentrate your energies on. Good luck you will love it once you get in the swing of things.
CAthie

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:39 pm

I am taking a break this semester as I am moving (again!) and having to find a new job etc so I feel I wouldn't be able to give the study the time it needed.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 am

Hi Fellow Uni Students,

This week I finally finish my first semester... It's been good however a lot harder over the past month since I've moved and currently overseas... You can't put your degree on hold when everything in your life changes in a new direction...lol... I'm pretty proud of myself as I finish up with 2 distinctions and 2 passes (I lost considerate amount of marks as I didn't have the right textbook for one unit)..oh well lessoned learned! I'm happy that I completed my first semester now next semester starts next week already!

For my second semester the units I am enrolled in are:

1) Child development (0-8 years)
2) Technologies for learning

These are the last 2 units I have to complete for the first year as I have been given RPL for the rest of the units currently in the first year... Works out very well because the above 2 units are only available in the upcoming semester until next year so it perfect for me!

What are you all up to with uni?

Hope you are all studying well!

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 pm

LA knew you would do super well :o)
I havent been doing anything this semester and I will be transferring to UNE to the Bach of Teaching and do 1 yr and then do the extra year to get the Bach of Education.
Once i am back in Oz i will have to get all my stuff certified etc and send it off

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:15 pm

hi - wow well done L.A- you are working so hard and should feel very proud!
@ fefe let me know how the process goes- am very interested .
How's it all going rosie123?
i wish i could time travel backwards and be in my 20's again... feel like i am racing against the clock and never have enough time to get the study done..especially when i work the close (6pm) shift often and come home knackered!
hope i get here ( Uni level) one day!!??

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:26 pm

dulciean - I am sure you will, i know the feeling of wanting to be back in your 20s again but i feel that i am 36 and even if i take my time and finish my degree at 40 that still gives me plenty of time to utilise my degree and maybe even study further and establish myself in a better role somewhere.
It is hard studying when you work late or just work full stop but I find doing a bit each day or planning the weekends well means I get what I need to done study wise.
I will def keep posting here about the UNE degree route

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 am

Ok, so I finished my first year of uni (can't believe it) and now Im doing my third semester in my second year of my degree...

It's my third week this week and so far so good... I've looked at my assessments for both units and they aren't too bad however I know I have to put in that extra effort if I want to do well as it is my second year.

The units Im currently enrolled in are:

Assessment Practices In Early Childhood

Language and Multiliteracies (5 to 8 years).

Let's see how this semester goes... topics for both units have been an interesting read thus far!

How's everyone else going?

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 am

EDEC324 Early Education Leadership Theory and Practice
EDEC340 Growing Up Children

These are the units I am doing in S1 2013 which starts end of Feb.
By this time next year I will have completed my Bachelor of Teaching (EC) ... YAY...just have to keep up doing 2 units/semester