Undecided

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
syakira
Helper
Helper

Undecided

Post by syakira » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi all,

I am currently doing my diploma and I have three more units to complete.

I am still undecided whether I should go on to do my bachelors next year as I am not very good at essay writing. If I do decide to continue I want to get a tutor to help me with writing up assignments.

I don't have much experience in this industry. I am in my mid 30's. So would it be better if I work full time next year and then go on to uni.

I love working with children and watch them learn.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

thanks
syakira

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Undecided

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Most unis have resources eg http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/llonline/w ... /index.xml, http://www.csu.edu.au/division/studserv ... ides/essay, http://www.adelaide.edu.au/library/guid ... style.html,
that can aid you in how to write essays of a standard expected for that level, personally I would not waste your money in a tutor.
Apart from that if you are really worried your lecturers will also be able to help you and guide you.
It is not that difficult really, the main thing is referencing work and writing without waffling! lol
Many universities also run Academic Skills workshops which are usually free if you are enrolled in that uni.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Hey Syakira,

Personally, I would recommend you continue onto your degree... You are already in "study mode" at the moment, completing your Diploma and you will be given much more career opportunities with a degree...I am currently doing my first semester of the Bachelor Early Childhood degree through Open Universities Australia and honestly speaking it is manageable to complete so far. One of the first units I have enrolled in, my assignment is writing an essay on a question. Each week you are given topics to cover and online tutorials which helps you to complete your assignment. There are also tutors available online to support you through your learning if need be. I know you are concerned about the essay but I doubt you have to do essays in all units... Each unit is different, whether it be doing an essay, slide show, learning experience etc... Don't let one essay put you off doing your degree... I say "go for it"!!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

syakira
Helper
Helper

Post by syakira » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi again,

Thanks so much for your opinions to fefe and LA.

This is what's happened so far in my life. I didn't study for twelve years after getting married. In 2009 I was fed up with staying at home and started to do voluntary work in Prep classes for 6 year old kids. I would help up to 13 children in the class with their writing skills, while the teacher took the rest of the class for reading skills. I was keen to help the children learn. The teacher suggested I study the Bachelor of ECE because she said I would be a good teacher. I didn't have any confidence in going to uni. She encouraged me to study again.

Finally in 2010 I did my certificate III in children's services. I was so nervous going to class and scared with interacting with people. I found it so hard to write one sentence. Then I found I loved to study, meeting new people and doing the assignments. I loved working with children etc. My supervisor suggested I go on to do my diploma. I finished my cert III and had a thirst to go on and do my diploma. I wanted to learn more about children's development, learning, observations, planning, programming and curriculum. I loved it.

But you are right. I am still in study mode and I'm gonna go for it. I want to do it at RMIT in Melbourne. I wouldn't study on line. I prefer to go and interact with people.

I am interested in working as Qualified room leader in the kinder room. I heard my supervisor saying that in 2016, only Bachelor's of ECE can take the room. Is this true?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Syakira

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:13 pm

All Kindy rooms even now have to have a Qualified Teacher ie someone with a (min) Bach. of Education degree

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:54 pm

hi fefe76- i was Room leader in my previous position in the Pre-school room ( 3-5 year olds) .( I'm a modest Cert III ! ) The centres seem to get around the ECE qualification by advertising for one- and DOCS admitting there quite simply is not enough qualified staff to go around. does that sound right to you? Ie- requirements met by saying " we are actively seeking an ECE for our pre-school room".

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:41 pm

All I am aware of is all Kindy rooms need a Qualified Teacher with a degree, I suppose saying they are looking for one may tide them over as long as someone with a Diploma is in the room but not sure exactly what the go is

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm

All Kindy rooms are supposed to have a 4 year trained teacher with Early Childhood qualifications, or have a teacher that has enrolled/started updating her degree to cover EC. this is what I have been led to believe in WA anyway. I think they have till 2016 for it.
Cathie

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:47 pm

really? so i could be a kindy teacher because I have begun my degree even though I have not completed it? hmmm

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 pm

I understand that through the NQS as long as you have started it that is ok - simply because they cannot expect that everyone will have the degree in time for the standards being implemented. There is a timeframe though for completion i think?