Practicle Work Placement With Toddlers

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Hamid

Practicle Work Placement With Toddlers

Post by Hamid » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi,
Before I ask any question, I would like to give some details about my situation. I am doing my internship for 10 weeks overall 30 days and i am working with children between 1/5 to 2/5 and I don't have any experience about this age children. I do not understand what is difficult or easy for them? becuse they are so different. :(
I have done some observations and plans but I think am not in a right track
I don't know during this 30 days (10 weeks) what is best way for teaching them? do I need to teach all of them or just chose focus child?
most of them do not like to listen to me and follow directions, they show their interest about activity just for 1 minute and if the activity have more details or if I want them to answer to my question they get frustrated, they prefer that I give them materials and then they do whatever they like, if I don't they start crying and push each other. I do not know what is best for them? what can I do to improve their learning during this short time. I am so confused and worried bout my situation. it would be great if you give me some of your experiences.
Thanks,
Zahra

Lorina

Re: Practicle Work Placement With Toddlers

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Yes, toddlers are very hard to manage at this stage. They are learning to be independent, exploring their social skills, exploring their world around them, pushing boundaries, it's a very important time for them as they begin to become individuals and get a sense of who they are.

First off, you need to base your experiences on what they are interested in, what do they like to do. Sensory experiences such as play dough, water play, playing with coloured rice, etc. is great for them. They like the way it feels when they play with it and from these experiences itself you can provide alot of learning opportunities. Pretend play is also popular as they are able to pretend to be different people such as doctors, mummy (while playing with babies), kitchen play. They basically like to role play what they have seen. Stories are also good for toddlers as this will help them to concentrate or become familiar with sequence of events, learn new words, extend on their vocabulary etc. So, you can have a group time with them and read them stories. The book should be engaging and not too long and have pictures that the children can look at while you're reading. Blocks, puzzles, animals, dinosaurs, cars etc. These are all types of activities you can add into the environment for the toddlers to engage with. Even when you use these materials, you can provide learning opportunities. So, for example, counting the animals, putting the dinosaurs from biggest to smallest, finding a particular colour car etc.

Toddlers get frustrated when they find an activity to hard or don't understand what they have to do so you need to simplify it or provide an example so they understand what they need to do. Provide lots of encouragement and talk them through the process so it's easier for them to understand what your expectations are.

It's also a good idea to find out what the children are interested in.. what do they enjoy doing... Planning on their interests are much easier because they are more likely to become involved in the experience rather than something you put out just for the sake of it...

I hope this gives you some ideas you can work with,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Have a read through these as they may help as well:

Group Time With Children
Encouraging Phrases For Children
Behaviour Management In Childcare

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:40 am

thank you so much dear Lorina,
Zahra

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi,
I am wondering how I can write self-evaluation about my whole internship period in childcare centre?
Regards,
Zahra

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:50 am

Hi,
I am wondering how I can write self-evaluation about my whole internship period in childcare centre?
Regards,
Zahra

Hi Zahra,

How did you enjoy work placement? Hope you got some great hands on experience and leant lots during your time there!

It's best to come up with a list f questions you can answer during the self evaluation such as:

- Where do I need to improve
- How did I interact with the staff, parents, children
- What are my strengths
- What are my weaknesses
- How I felt during placement
- Where there any issues or concerns? How did I deal with it?
- Was I able to complete all necessary assignments?
- What difficulties I faced

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Thank you so much, you do know how happy I become when I see you respond to my question. i feel so confused and scared at this stage of my internship, I realized i should not trust to people smile in the centre, it dose not mean I am doing well or they are happy of what I am doing. :) anyway thank you for and responding to my email.

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Dear Lorina,
I am reading my previous email that I sent you last nigh, OMG please do not read it, it is rubbish :(
Thank Zahra

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 pm

It's my pleasure! Yes, it can be a little nerving knowing if what you are doing is right or wrong. If you have a good mentor they will guide you through and let you know what you are doing good and where you can improve as well. The only thing is that sometimes people don't want to speak up and how are you supposed to learn if you don't know right! Remember if you have any doubts, or concerns just ask and I'm sure the educators will explain it to you!

Lorina

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Thank you, I will talk to my lecturer next week.

Hamid

Post by Hamid » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Dear Lorina,
I am wondering how I can set up the environment to provide opportunities for 2 year old children to have shared, sustained thinking?
I set up sensory and natural area and free drawing area for my classroom but when I ask question they can not answer properly because of their limited vocabulary and hence I found having sustained meaningful conversation quite challenging.
Regards,
Zahra