Bachelor of Teaching vs Bachelor of Education

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
jeremyhendo

Bachelor of Teaching vs Bachelor of Education

Post by jeremyhendo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi all,

I have made some posts on here before and was wondering what the difference between the 'Bachelor of Teaching' ad the 'Bachelor of Education' (Early Childhood)

I'm currently enrolled at uni and have just finished and passed my first year. Hooray! Only 4 subjects because I am working full time. I understand that the Bachelor of Teaching is a total of 10 units and the Education is a total of 16. What are the pros and cons of only doing the Bachelor of Teaching as it is shorter. At my old centre my director only had her Bachelor of Teaching and my current Director only has her Diploma. I'm now a 29 year old male and have nearly 10 years experience in the Long Day Care field and have my Cert III and Diploma while also have begun my degree. I need some advice about how to get a directors job with my current experience and qualifications?

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: Bachelor of Teaching vs Bachelor of Education

Post by law92 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:03 am

Hi
The difference between the bachelor of teaching and the bachelor of education is that the bachelor of teaching only qualifies you to teach children aged 0-5 years, so it limits you to working only in child care centres. However, the bachelor of education qualifies you to become a registered teacher to work with children aged 0-8 years old, so with this degree you can teach kindergarten at a child care centre, and you can also teach Prep, grades 1-3 in a primary school setting. The work in this degree is mainly centred around lower primary school aged children, and it takes a bit longer as you need to learn the curriculum and reporting methods for working in a primary school setting, and most of the practical experience you need to do in a primary school setting as well, whereas the bachelor of teaching is aimed at the teaching of younger children.
In my opinion, the bachelor of education gives you more career options so you don't limit yourself, but if your sure that you want to stay working in child care centres the bachelor of teaching would be the way to go.

In regards to what qualifications you need to become a director, I'm not quite sure, but I think as long as you have one of these degrees you should be right. Someone else on this forum would most certainly know more about this than I do. I'm just currently studying my diploma, then I'm going to do a bachelor of education. It seems as though you have plenty if experience for the role though. Good luck with your studies

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Bachelor of Teaching vs Bachelor of Education

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 am

How you get a Director's role with your current quals is try & apply for any and every Director's position out there. It is hard to get a Director's position if you do not have any 2IC experience.
I was in the same boat as you however I got a maternity contract Director's role & took it as experience is all I need.
I am doing a Bachelor of Teaching (final year) however later down the line I may do the extra year if I feel I need more options. My 5 yr goal is to have my own centre so I pretty much thing I will stay in the 0-5 sector therefore a Bachelor of Teaching should be enough for me.
You need to assess what you want from the future and study according to that.