Bachelor Degree - Online or not?

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Bachelor Degree - Online or not?

Post by shmollie_hollie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Im thinking about starting my bachelors, i work full time in a childcare centre so im thinking of doing it online. Any thoughts or opinions on this? do you think its a smart move or should i just quit my job and go to university? Really unsure, thanks!

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Re: Online or not?

Post by Dragonstorm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am

Hello there Shmollie

I am a forty year old male who works in hospitality on a casual basis (read nights and weekends). I have started doing my Ba in early childhood studies via OUA. Totaly online (except for the books you need to read). It is hard to advise anyone because their situation is different to mine, but what i will say is my experience so far.

By doing two units per Study period (term), I should be qualified in four years. having just started my second SP the work is doable. In my first SP i did two units and if i followed the recomendations of 20 hours per week i would be ok. UUMMm, finding 20 hours for me was easy, however, my problem was consistancy of quality time. Meaning I was a bit lax in sitting down and actually doing something. As a result towards the assingment due time I was rushed and stressed a bit. This meant I didnt put in as much as i could've and it showed in my marks. I barely passed which is actually better than what i thought i would do. Moral of the story is " If you can find quality time to actually do the work, you will be fine". If you are good at sitting down and doing a bit every day, youll be fine. i would also be looking at RPL for some of your work in c/c.
Also with online study you take upto 10 years i think to complete your BA, so you dont have to do 2 units per SP, you could do one easily and be qualified in 8 yrs.

My view. Regards
Andrew R

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Online or not?

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi shmollie_hollie, Dragonstorm has already covered some important points about online study since he is currently doing the Bachelor degree from OUA. I have not done my beachelor degree yet although there were many times I was planning to do it and never really went ahead with it… :cry:

My advise would be, if you are ready and committed to complete your degree, then why not? The biggest part when it comes to completing a degree is the motivation since it takes atleast 4 years to complete it if you are studying full time. I have seen many starting to do their degree and later lost their interest after their first year. So it really depends on you.

Also another thing to consider is, its not easy to work full time as well as completing your bachelor degree. Fefe76 (our support team member) is currently doing it this way and I am not sure how she can manage to do both. But again, if you are focused and commited, you can do it. You need to plan ahead and get your study done on time rather than pushing it till the last minute. Like dragonstorm said, if you are not consistent with your study, then you will rush towards the end to finish it and it shows on your grades. I can imagine that it is gonna be very different from doing a diploma and also it takes a lot longer to finish it. But if you are determined, then go for it! It would definitely be a very good feeling and rewarding when you complete your degree in the end after all the hard work!!

Choosing between online or not can be confusing since they both have their advantage and disadvantages. With online study, you can study when you get time and don’t have classes to go and attend to. But sometimes attending classes and access to university resources can be very useful as well. Are there any university near your place? If you have a uni close by, then why don’t consider an on-campus study?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Bachelor Degree - Online or not?

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi there
as mentioned I am working FT and doing my degree online.... to sum it up, its hard, very hard, and yes you have to be dedicated. I have dropped one of my subjects this semester (previously I did 2/semester) but I was finding it just too much ... sometimes something has to give... either you work PT or do less subjects in a semester.

Going to uni was not an option for me, 1. as I live remotely and 2. we want 2 incomes as we recently bought a house.

I am able to do online study, I dont find it hard doing it on my own... however for some people they need the structure of lectures and tutorials etc to physically go to...but the online study has come a long way, I can actually attend tutorials online through a skype type set up and you can ask questions and listen to others etc ... all lectures are recorded so you listen to exactly what on campus students listen to and see... its great.

Its a very personal decision so I would think about it a fair bit before deciding.

justme

Re: Bachelor Degree - Online or not?

Post by justme » Mon May 21, 2012 8:51 pm

I am studying one subject per semester.

As I had my diploma before hand I gained credits and this second degree will take me 4 years to complete instead of doing 2 subjects per semester and only taking 2 years.

I find it hard when the lectures are not online all the time and you have questions being unanswered.