Bachelor Arts ( Early Education)

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Bachelor Arts ( Early Education)

Post by dulciean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:28 am

good morning all- a quick question. stumbled across this info via the Curtin Uni website. Has anyone heard of this (new?) qualification? does it give ECT status for employment?
sounds like quite a good option i think!

http://handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/314053.html
Have a look at the link. :think:

Lorina

Re: Bachelor Arts ( Early Education)

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Dulciean, 

Just checking out the link you posted for the bachelor of arts degree (early childhood) from Curtin University. I compared it to the bachelor of early childhood education degree also offered by curtin university and the first 3 years of both degrees are the same. The only difference I found that the bachelor of arts (early childhood ) stops at the end of the third year without having to do any electives as it only involves the study of birth to 5 years old. However, the bachelor of early childhood education continues on for another year including electives as well and also continues on to primary school education from birth to 8 years old. It basically all comes down to the career path you want to take... If you want to only teach children birth to 5 yr olds (working in childcare only) go for the bachelor of arts or you can teach birth to 8 yrs (year 3 in primary schools) go for the bachelor of early childhood. 

I do like the look of Curtin University and it seems to be a good uni to study at as well and the entire degree is available online...

Cheers : geek:,
L.A

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 am

hello L.A- thank you for the response. Glad you had a look- i compared also and yes it looks like the more specific degree when considering a career only in Early Childhood. and that would be me! personally , i think the overlapping of qualifications is a bit confusing- Having just worked with a Room Leader who held a Diploma ( from 10 years ago ) and then a degree in Primary Education ( k-6) - it seemed her skills were not transferable to the Daycare setting and well she was a nightmare! ( i resigned this week due to multiple reasons- but her inexperience was a big one!! )
I think there should be a qualification for Early Childhood, and one for Primary- and never the two shall meet!
I am pushing 40 so time to dust off the books, get my Diploma DONE and look into this Arts degree. :clap:

Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Post by Rosie123 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi

I have just enroled in the Bachelor Arts (Early Education) course at Curtin. Yes it is 3 years. I have a diploma in Child Services and will be able to get 6 credits, which will mean it will only take 2years and 2 months.
I am 47 years old and cant believe I am doing this course, but will find it helpful. Also when you get half way through, you are then classified as a teacher in childcare. Also if opening up a centre or 3 year old kindy then you will need to have this or the advanced diploma to comply with Licensing in the near future.
I have started off with Effective Communication and Professional practices, which is great to have for essays and assignments.
Regards Rosie123

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 am

hi Rosie123
I was so excited to read your reply! This degree has really got me interested. It seems to flow naturally on from the Diploma- I am about 1/2 way through said Diploma. So once it is complete, I could also apply for the recognition of 6 units. And then a degree in 2 yrs 2 months ! Fabulous. Well done to you for working towards this goal as a mature student- personally i subscribe to the 'older and wiser' idea, i hope to be studying and learning well into my future years! thanks again. :wave:

Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Post by Rosie123 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks Dulciean

I also forgot to tell you that if you do the three years (or 2yrs 2mts) you can then do 1 more year and get your Primary school teachering degree.

Also if anyone else is doing this degree, would love to hear from you. I dont know anybody else at the moment.

regards

Rosie123

vickianne

Post by vickianne » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 am

Hi I am also trying to get my Diploma competed and just had a look at your comments on the Degree you are doing Rosie, sounds like the way to go and also that it can be done online...Rosie you are a spring chicken, I am 52 this December but really want to get my degree in Early Childhood, this site is great for encouragement and very helpful no matter what age...thanks to everyone who contributes and encourages...Vicki

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:55 pm

If it is a 3 year degree it is probably similar to what I am doing through UNE ,Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood) ... It is a 3 year degree so you can only teach 0-5 yrs old

I am not sure if you have your Diploma but if you do and have been a GL for a year UNE will give you 2 years credit so essentially you only study your final year of the degree! It is also completely online
http://www.une.edu.au/courses/2013/courses/BTCHEC

I was doing my Bach Ed with USQ and dropped it to take this route as it saves me time .... I will do the Bachelor of Teaching and then do another years study to get the Bachelor of Education

vickianne

Post by vickianne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm

That sounds the way to go with your degree...with UNE...I had also looked that their degrees and thought they sounded good and being online is great as you can still work.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Its just NO other uni i approached gave the 2 year credit ... with USQ I got 10 subjects credit but still meant I had just under 3 years FT study to complete which obviously is more when you do it part time.
This way its only 2 yrs FT study so essentially I am saving myself a years worth of study.

WOrth it if you have a Diploma of CS & experience